What is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?
Polycystic Ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common metabolic and hormonal disorder that affects up to 12% of Australian women. It can develop in women during teenage and childbearing years, causing a hormonal imbalance and excess of insulin in the bloodstream that causes cysts to form over the ovaries. Symptoms may be painful and embarrassing, and may include:
- Irregular, infrequent or absent menstrual periods
- Obesity and weight maintenance problems
- Excessive hair growth, particularly on the face, chest, lower abdomen and thighs
- Acne and other inflammatory skin conditions
The good news is that there are many natural therapies available to PCOS patients that all provide a welcome relief from its distressing symptoms, and prevent the condition from progressing and getting worse. For more general information about PCOS see our article on Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
Natural Treatments for PCOS
There are many types of natural therapies that may assist in the management of PCOS. Some of these include:
- Nutrition: A nutritionist will be able to devise a healthy eating plan that will aim to eradicate symptoms of PCOS that stem from fluctuating hormone, insulin and blood glucose levels. Through good nutrition, the PCOS patient can lose weight, get a handle on their appetite and soothe the inflammatory symptoms of the condition such as acne. See PCOS and nutrition for more information.
- Herbal Medicine: Herbs derived from medicinal plants may be prescribed by a professional herbalist or Chinese medicine practitioner in order to treat the underlying causes of PCOS, to relieve its symptoms, to help prevent further inflammation and to promote the body’s own natural healing process. See PCOS and herbal medicine for more.
- Acupuncture: A professional acupuncturist aims to reduce the symptoms of PCOS through the use of needles on the skin that work to remove blocked energy along the meridians related to the reproductive system. See PCOS and acupuncture for more information.
- Meditation: Meditation involves relieving the thinking mind by placing a person into a deep state of awareness and relaxation. It lowers stress levels (often responsible for triggering PCOS), and returns the body into a state of calm in which it can heal from PCOS symptoms. See PCOS and meditation for more information.
- Aromatherapy: A professional aromatherapist uses essential oils and other aromatic plant compounds to relieve symptoms of PCOS and to improve the overall well being of the individual. Aromatherapy may restore hormonal balance, and induce a natural state of relaxation in the body that relieves the stress levels that worsen PCOS symptoms. For more information see PCOS and aromatherapy.
- Homeopathy: A professional homeopath will holistically consider the patient’s PCOS symptoms before carefully selecting an appropriate remedy to address issues such as blood sugar regulation, hormone and appetite levels, and the individual’s overall well being. See PCOS and homeopathy for more.
Selecting a Natural Therapies Practitioner
Always make sure to choose a natural therapies practitioner who has the appropriate qualifications and license to practice.