Reflexology is a holistic healing modality that treats headaches by addressing and supporting the body’s entire healing ability. Please read on for more information.
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a complimentary therapy whose principles are based on the reflexive action of organs, tissues, glands and other body parts. This reflex action is triggered by pressure applied to certain points on the feet and hands that correspond with to other zones in the body. Points on the left hand and foot correspond to organs on the left side of the body, whilst organs on the right hand and foot do so to those organs on the right.
Whilst the hand itself contains seven reflex sections, it is the feet that are more often practiced upon, as well as occasional points on the ear. By massaging or applying pressure to these specific points, the Reflexologist is enabled to release any blocked energy flow that may be causing any illness or condition such as a headache.
How Can Reflexology Help Alleviate a Headache?
Reflexology works to relieve a headache by:
- Releasing any muscle tension around the cervical spine
- Reducing the stress and tension often responsible for many types of headaches.
- Improving nerve function.
- Enhancing blood circulation to all glands and organs in the body.
- Assisting the body in maintaining homeostasis.
Foot Reflexology Points for Headaches
A reflexologist may relieve headaches by working the spinal reflexes, including points on the:
- Medial side of the right foot corresponds to the right side of the spine
- Medial side of the left foot corresponds to the left side of the spine
- Upper medial edges of both feet correspond to the cervical spine.
Other reflexes on the foot that may be addressed in order relieve headaches. Some of these include:
- The upper, underside of the big toe, which corresponds to the head and brain.
- The lower part of the big toenail that also corresponds to the head and brain.
- The lower part of the top of the big toe that corresponds to the functioning of the neck.
Hand Reflexology Points for Headaches
There are many reflex points on the hand a reflexologist may address to relieve a headache. Some of these include:
- The bottom and sides of the fingers that correspond to the neck and shoulder muscles.
- Tender areas all over the thumb. NB: Practicing reflexology on the thumb (or big tow) may help to relieve cluster headaches by reducing associated swelling at the base of the skull in the neck.
- The tops of each finger, which may relieve allergy-related headache symptoms.
- The fleshy part between the thumb and first finger, which corresponds to the head and brain.
Find out about other effective natural headache treatments.