- Long smooth gliding strokes that are rhythmic and flowing
- Pressure that is deeply relaxing, but not painful
- A treatment that is designed to soothe and relax you, not to relieve chronic pain or other underlying ailments
- A therapist who also takes the massage environment into account – look for soothing music, warm luxurious towels, and occasionally the use of essential oils to enhance both the environment and the effects of the massage
The Benefits of Relaxation MassageAs with any kind of massage, the benefits of a relaxation massage can last for several days after your treatment. Relaxation massage – like other forms of massage - can offer the following benefits:
- Lowering blood pressure – at least for a while
- Improvements to peripheral circulation
- Improvements to skin tone and appearance
- Improvements to gastrointestinal motility (bowel movements will become more regular)
- Some reduction in muscle tension including the relief of muscle tension headaches
- Improvements to any stress-related symptoms. This can include providing a gentle boost to the immune system if you undergo regular treatments.
How Much Does it Cost?
Relaxation massage will vary in price according to your location and the experience of the therapist (and how much she or he is in demand). At the time of writing, you can expect an hour-long relaxation massage to be in the region of AUD$50-$80 per hour. Expect to pay significantly more within a spa setting.
Can I Claim Relaxation Massage on Health Insurance?
This will depend on your health insurance policy. In most cases you (or your massage therapist, depending on your billing arrangements) would need to prove that the massage you are receiving is making a noticeable difference to an underlying condition. Check your policy details for further information.
How to Choose a Relaxation Massage Therapist
Relaxation massage means different things to different people. Therapists who practice Swedish massage, Holistic massage, Stone therapy, or Ayurvedic massage are all likely to offer relaxation massage as part of their range of treatments. Relaxation massage is also what you can expect within a spa setting. The large range of possible interpretations to the word ‘relaxation’ means it is important that you contact any potential therapist first and ask them about the treatment they are offering.
Locate a relaxation massage therapist in your local area.