The plain flour can be substituted for wholemeal or spelt flour. If you are gluten intolerant or celiac, you could substitute the flour for gluten free flour. Remember if you are celiac, you will need to omit the oats. You can replace the same amount of oats with high protein quinoa flakes.
Oats are also incredibly nutritious. Being high in a specific fibre called beta-glucan, this fibre is known to help lower levels of bad cholesterol, known as LDL. The fibre found in the oats is also great for maintaining a healthy gut.
- 5 MEDIUM GRANNY SMITH (GREEN) APPLES (900G), PEELED, CORED AND CUT INTO 2CM DICE
- ½ CUP (110G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 2 TABLESPOONS LEMON JUICE
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- 1½ CUPS (225G) PLAIN (ALL-PURPOSE) FLOUR
- ¾ CUP (165G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- 1 CUP (90G) ROLLED OATS
- 225G UNSALTED BUTTER, MELTED
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the apple, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix to combine. Transfer to a 1.5-litre-capacity ovenproof dish.
- To make the crumble topping, place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, oats and butter in a large bowl and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the apple and place the dish on a large baking tray. Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until the crumble is golden and the apples are soft. Serve with vanilla ice-cream or organic cream. Serves 6.