Salads can make the perfect nutrient-packed meal.
Salads can make the perfect nutrient-packed meal. They have so much potential, however when words like “creamy,” “bacon,” and “cheese” are involved, their real potential is for packing on the kilos is increased. So how do you put together a salad that is delicious and satisfying as well as healthy and nutritious?
This delicious asparagus and haloumi salad will present with health as well as taste. It is packed with vitamin C, healthy fats, protein, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.
- 3 red capsicum
- 500g haloumi cheese cut into 1.5mm slices
- 1 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 3 bunches asparagus
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- Olive oil spray
- Roast the capsicum. To do this, Preheat the oven to 230C- 240 C.
- Cut the capsicums into strips. Remove the seeds and the membranes. Place on a large oven tray, skin side up. Roast in preheated oven until the skin blisters and turns black. Remove from oven and cover with plastic film or place in a paper bag until cool. The steam helps to lift the skin making it easier to peel. Peel away skins and use as desired.
- Place the capsicum strips in a bowl along with the olives.
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a jug and pour over salad.
- Toss well to combine. Sprinkle with basil.
- Cook asparagus on grill plate for 5 minutes until just tender.
- Cook haloumi on grill plate for 1-2 minutes until golden.
- Serve asparagus and haloumi with capsicum salad and crusty bread.