Check out This Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Make this recipe your own! You can substitute any of these ingredients by using anything that you may have in the house.
- 1 kg beef chuck roast, trimmed and cubed
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, sliced crosswise
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into pieces
- 5 medium red waxy potatoes, quartered, halved if small
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, quartered
- Chopped parsley and chopped chives (for serving)
- Season roast with 3 tbsp of the salt, rubbing into the grain and covering all sides. Wrap tightly in plastic and chill at least 3 hours.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a medium skillet over high and place the onion, leek, and remaining 2 tsp of salt, stirring occasionally, until browned around the edges but not completely cooked through, 6–8 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook, about 1 minute. Nest, add wine and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally about 2 minutes or until alcohol has evaporated. Scrape onion mixture into ceramic insert into your slow cooker. Stir in broth and pepper.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in same skillet over high. Cook roast, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides, 10–12 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker. Arrange carrots, celery, parsnip, potatoes, and mushrooms around roast, pushing into onion mixture and surrounding meat.
- Cook over high heat until roast is very tender and shreds easily, 7–8 hours. If you need to program your slow cooker, set for 7 hours at high, then set to warm after that.