What are Positive Feelings?
Positive feelings are pleasant feelings and emotions that make you feel good physically, mentally, and emotionally. There are many positive feelings, but the following are the most commonly experienced by a person:
Psychologist Barbara L. Fredrickson identifies the most common positive emotions. These emotions include joy, gratitude, and serenity. She also mentioned that we need a 3:1 ratio of positive emotion to negative emotion to be able to have a good life.
People who choose to think positive thoughts over negative thoughts are often known as optimists. Optimism is referred to as the hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something. Optimists don't run away from the tough situations of life, but rather they approach it in a far more positive and productive way.
Why Do You Need Positive Feelings?
Positive feelings can help you to be motivated in attaining and achieving your dreams. They act as an inner guidance system, revealing what it is you want and are really thinking. Serving are the voice of your intuition, they act as an indicator whether you are on the right track with whatever you have chosen to do. Positive feelings also help affect the people around you: they help you improve your relationships and make you more likeable to others, usually making the other person to feel more positive too.
How Do Positive Feelings Affect your Wellbeing?
Scientific studies have revealed that positive thinking can directly benefit your health and general well-being.
The daily, endless stream of self-talk inside your head is usually of a negative nature. These automatic thoughts usually arise from misconceptions based from a lack of information. There is a host of mental and physical health benefits you will enjoy, if you can learn to challenge these negative thoughts and making them positive. Some of these may include:
- Reduced overall stress levels
- An increased lifespan
- Improved and increased immunity
- Reduced risk of acquiring cardiovascular disease
- Better coping skills
Studies have also revealed that positive people or optimists generally follow a healthier lifestyle, diet, are more physically active, drink less alcohol and smoke fewer cigarettes.
How Can You Create Positive Feelings?
Wanting to get more feeling positive? Please read on:
- When your negative thoughts are coming up, you can politely tell them to go away. You may also choose to give those thoughts a name, for example “Ego.” So, when they come up, you can say to yourself “Go away Ego, I don’t have time for you right now.”
- Upon waking up, plan your day. Make it as detailed as possible and make sure it would be carried out exactly as you planned or would like to happen.
- Before going to sleep, you can mentally list the things from your day that you are thankful for. You can have at least five things, and of course there is no maximum limit.
- Always remind and re-affirm yourself that no matter what, you are doing the best you can with the information you have. Thank that moment, and that is enough.
- During the day, think of all the happy memories and the people you love.
- When negative feelings towards another person start creeping up, such as distrust or anger, pause for a moment, take a deep breath and mentally send that person with unconditional love. You will be astonished on how quickly the reactions turn around once you have killed it with kindness.
- When you have unpleasant thoughts, distract yourself with a good book, listening to happy music, reading inspirational quotes, watching a comedy show or anything else that may make you laugh or lighthearted.
- Stay away from negative people or if you have to spend time with them, think happy thoughts and detach yourself from their negative headspace.
- Consider having meditation, which will help your mind slow down enough to filter out the negative thoughts and feelings that may enter your mind.
- Avoid watching or reading news, which is often deeply negative. This is especially true late at night when you can take the negative events of the day into your dream state.
- And lastly, remember and understand that EVERYTHING is about your attitude. As they say, it is no coincidence that happy people lead happy lives!