As with most meals made at home, health can usually be guaranteed. This is because you know exactly which ingredients are going into your food.
You can make homemade versions that satisfy your cravings and the need to eat a healthier diet. In any pizza dough recipe, substitute white flour for spelt or whole-wheat flour to make a more nutritious crust. By adding lots of roasted or grilled vegetables, you will be getting in the minerals, vitamins and antioxidants found in these wonderous foods. You can also make quickie versions of healthy pizza by using whole-wheat English muffins or pita bread as a crust.
- 2 x pizza base (dinner plate size)
- 4 tbs tomato paste (you could use any tomato product such as tomato sauce, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, fresh cooked tomatoes as well as tomato passata)
- 1 cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
Spread tomato paste evenly over pizza bases using the back of a tablespoon.
Top with spinach leaves, onion, chicken, capsicum strips and tomatoes, in that order.
Lastly, sprinkle with cheese and place on a baking tray, pizza stone or wire rack.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and a little golden and base is crisp.