It's winter again and the cold weather can sometimes take a beating on our health. And we all know that winter is usually colds and flu season in the country. And there are very limited treatments for colds and flu, especially for babies and small children. And coughing and congestion doesn't help and can really interfere with their ability to get a good night's sleep. A no good night's sleep for your kids just means no good night's sleep for you as well.
One of the most popular home remedies for colds and flu is vapor rub. It's cool and strong menthol flavor just seems to relieve the suffering of a clogged nose and nasty flu. But recent study has shown that the petroleum-laden Vicks may not be that good for infants. Though it may be effective, it may actually be very harmful for kids under 2 years old.
So what if the bad case of colds and flus strike your home this? Well, you can try this all natural vapor rub. These recipes will teach you how to make your own effective colds and flu remedy, but it also have some other health benefits because of the natural and organic ingredients you will use.
Natural Vapor Rub Recipe #1
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil in its liquid state for mixing
- 10-15 drops peppermint, lavender or rosemary essential oil. (Peppermint Oil should not be used for children under the ages of 6 years old)
- 5-10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- Melt the coconut oil gently into its liquid state.
- Add the drops of your essential oils.
- Blend and let harden in the fridge. It usually takes 45 mins to an hour to set.
- Rub on chest and upper back.
Natural Vapor Rub Recipe #2
This recipe is suitable for anyone aged 3 and above.
- 4 teaspoons grated beeswax
- 3 tablespoons cocoa, shea or mango butter
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil
- 60 drops (total) of high-quality essential oil such as Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Peppermint, Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Pine, Lavender, Clove, Marjoram, Chamomile, Lemon, Sweet Orange
- Melt beeswax, cocoa, shea and mango butter. A double broiler is the best method, but you can also use the microwave.
- After the wax and butters are melted, turn off the burner and add the remaining ingredients.
- Next, pour into any glass vessel with a lid. This recipe has a shelf life of up to 12 months.
Natural Vapor Rub Recipe #3
This recipe is suitable for children 2 and under.
- 4 Tsp Hard Wax such as Beeswax
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa, shea or mango Butter
- 7 Tbl Coconut Oil
- 30 drops essential oils such as eucalyptus smithii, lavender, tea tree, and chamomile for children over the age of 6 months. For babies that are less than two months old, use only lavender and chamomile essential oils.
- Melt the wax and butters, then add in any additional ingredients.
- Pour into a glass vessel.
To learn more about colds and flu, check out our other articles.
Do you have a passion for Naturopathy? Would you love to turn your passion for Naturopathy into a rewarding career?
Check out the information we have available on what the Naturopathy course involves and thousands of other Natural Therapy Courses we have available online and throughout Australia. Why not let us help you find the right course for you today on 1300 924 960