Most of us will experience low libido at some point in our lives. If you’re experiencing a lack of desire, there are a range of natural solutions that may help. Read on to find out about symptoms and solutions for low libido.
What is Low Libido?
Low libido is essentially a loss of desire or appetite for intimacy. While it is common in men and women, more women tend to report the condition.
For some people, low libido can put strain on their relationships and affect their self-esteem. Some practitioners purport that some sufferers may feel ashamed about their low libido and reluctant to discuss it with their partner or health practitioner.
Symptoms of Low Libido
There are many symptoms associated with low libido. Common symptoms can include:
- Erectile or ejaculation problems
- Less frequent fantasies
- Pain during intercourse
- Stress and anxiety
- Reluctance to initiate intercourse
Natural Remedies for Low Libido
Several natural treatments have been long associated with improving low libido. These treatments include:
- Herbal medicine: Eleutherococcus senticosis (Siberian Ginseng), smilax ornata (Sarsaparilla), and sabal serrulata may help increase drive and boost overall wellbeing.
- Fenugreek seed extract: A 2011 study in ‘Phytotherapy Research’ found that this herbal extract boosted libido in 82 per cent of men who took it over a six week period.
- Vitamins: Some experts say a daily multivitamin can help improve libido, as it gives a natural boost and may help relieve stress, which may be causing the problem. Zinc is also ideal for testes and, prostate and sperm health.
- Yoga: Gentle exercise such as yoga and walking may help minimise stress and, as a result, increase libido.
- Meditation: Taking time out to relax and tune in to your body may also be beneficial.
- Counselling: While it may be difficult to talk to your partner, a counsellor can offer an impartial perspective and help you communicate with your loved one about low libido.