With the Christmas season fast approaching, everyone is always in a hurry. So it will be awesome if we can just avoid getting stressed with all the preparations, especially the cooking. And to help ease that burden, here is a simple pie recipe that is sure to become a hit of every party you attend this Holidays.
Key lime pie is a real comfort food. It is a high in sugar so therefore should be considered a treat food. The key lime pie origin is shrouded in a bit of a mystery. According to an old story floating around Key West, key lime pie was invented back in the 1890s by a woman known only as "Aunt Sally". She came up with the recipe for the pie while in the kitchens of Key West's Curry Mansion, where she had access to sweetened condensed milk. Though it's history and origin may be a bit of a mystery, there's no denying that key lime pie is sweet, tart and all delicious. And if you would prefer to make your own condensed milk, you can try this quick and easy homemade recipe.
Steps in Making Your Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine the milk, heavy cream, sugar and salt in a pot over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally for about 12 minutes.
- Continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes, scraping continuously to prevent a milky buildup from forming around the sides. It is almost done once the thickened milk-syrup begins to foam. Keep cooking until the foam subsides and the dairy has condensed to exactly 2 cups.
- Pour into an airtight container, seal to prevent evaporation and refrigerate up to 1 month. To mimic the consistency of canned milk, bring to room temperature before using. You'll need 400 mls for this recipe.
Steps in Making the Pie
- 10 graham crackers/digestive biscuits
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 5 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 400 mls homemade or store bought condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 1 pound of limes)
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest, grated
- 2 cups heavy/double cream
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Finely crush your crackers or biscuits and, in a bowl, stir to combine with the butter, 2 tablespoons of honey and salt.
- Grease a 9-inch pie dish with additional butter. Pour the crumb mixture into the pie plate and evenly press to form a crust on the bottom and the sides. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice and zest to a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour into the prepared pie crust then bake for 15 minutes, or until set. Allow to cool then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- When ready to serve, beat the cream and remaining 3 tablespoons of honey together until it holds stiff peaks. Using a spatula, evenly spread the whipped cream on top of the pie and garnish with additional lime zest, if desired.
- Slice and serve.
For more homepage pie and dessert recipes, go here.