What is Cactus Water, and Should You Try It?Move over coconut water, because cactus water is the new ‘it drink’. But does it live up to the hype? And should you give it a try?
How is cactus water made?
To make cactus water, the fruit is juiced and pureed, then mixed with lemon juice and water. The result is a soft berry-like flavour that has many people hooked. And that gives cactus water big plus points over coconut water, which can be a strange and acquired taste.
What are its health benefits?
- A ‘healthier’ alternative to sports and soft drinks
- Reducing the effects of a hangover (this one is based on research)
- High in antioxidants such as taurine and betalains (24 of them in fact!), aiding tissue damage and combating free radicals
- Healthy skin and reduced puffy eyes
- Aids muscle recovery after a hard training session
- Aids immunity
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Packed with essential vitamins and minerals
The only way to see if cactus water works for you is to try it! Of course, the best way to stay hydrated is with good old unfashionable water.