Winter vegetable soup recipe
Bone broth continues to be the love of soup trends.This is great to have as a health boost, but you are also going to need veggies and what a great way to get them in than with vegetable soup.
If you have indulged a little too much over the holidays, a detoxifying veggie soup is the perfect way to usher in a healthier year.
This recipe is from Everyday Health and consists of an abundant amount of vegetable that makes a delicious winter lunch or dinner.
Satiating sweet potatoes and carrots pair with lighter veggies like zucchini, tomatoes, and kale to
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or chopped fresh rosemary or thyme)
- 2 bay leaves
- a few pinches of red chili flakes
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 can diced tomatoes with it’s juice
- 4 (or more) cups veggie broth
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- handful of chopped kale
- optional: grated parmesan cheese
- Chop all veggies and have them ready to go.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion, salt & pepper and cook until translucent. Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, garlic, oregano, bay leaves, chili flakes and more salt & pepper. Let cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables lightly brown, or until they're starting to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the white wine stir, and let the wine cook off until it's nearly evaporated.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, canned tomatoes, broth and chickpeas. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the carrots and sweet potatoes are tender. (at least 30 minutes, longer to develop a bit more flavour).
- Stir in the chopped kale during the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with grated parmesan cheese if you like.