Bikram Yoga Wollongong
Bikram’s Yoga is a series of 26 postures conducted over 90 minutes. This series of postures was scientifically designed to systematically work through the entire body.
Classes are held in a heated room. This allows for :
- allows for greater flexibility
- minimises muscle strain
- reduces the chance of injury
- promotes greater cleansing of the body
- helps build stamina and endurance.
The room is mirrored to enable better body awareness and refinement and deepening of postures through easy self-correction. No special equipment or props are required.
Each posture in the series warms and prepares the body for the next posture. In the heated room you will gradually work deeper into your muscles, tendons and ligaments, stretching, strengthening and toning – changing your body both inside and outside.
The poses work synergistically to return the body to a balanced state. The yoga assists in creating more energy, stamina and flexibility. The postures have a torniquet effect, stretching, squeezing and massaging the internal organs, flushing out the cardiovascular system and stimulating the endocrine and nervous systems. The well-maintained body is self-regulating and self-adjusting.
As we age, our muscles tend to stiffen, creating more pressure on the joints. Regular stretching prevents this gradual stiffening and joint deterioration, which is why yoga has such a rejuvenating effect. Through a regular workout, we liberate a vast amount of energy that we can use in daily life. We look, move and feel younger. The series works equally well for beginners and advanced students.
Whether your goal is to lose weight, learn to relax, aid in the healing of injuries or illness, strengthen, stretch or tone your body, or simply to achieve overall well-being, Bikram Yoga is suited to all levels of health and fitness.
It is a beginning class: anybody can do it – any age, size, shape, condition, background, or problem.
We do only beginning Yoga postures – nothing that can hurt or injure you as long as you listen to the certified instructor. The postures are maintained motionless at maximum effort, (which is a primary principle of Hatha Yoga), not in continuous movement.
Although the first emphasis is on the correctness and safety of the postures, the class is challenging, and you will have to make demands of yourself. It requires tremendous concentration, careful listening to the teacher’s dialogue (precise instructions), patience, determination, trust, and discipline. As these are required of you, they also develop within you.
Bikram’s Yoga can assist in reducing the symptoms of chronic illness and injury, and is an excellent preventative and rehabilitative tool. If you are looking for an all-over mind and body workout then Bikram’s Yoga is for you. Be prepared to raise your heart rate (yes, this is a cardiovascular workout), sweat, strain, laugh, and do more for your body and general well-being than you ever imagined possible.
You’ll find you want to do this practice. It’s fun. It works. You’ll start organizing your schedule to fit it in. Remember that this yoga is powerful and challenging, pace yourself; don’t force yourself; and don’t expect to be perfect overnight! (If you’re experiencing health or emotional issues, yoga will support you, so come as often as you can). It’s our job to push you to achieve your best; it is your responsibility to know what is enough for your body on any given day. Progress is a slow, sure, but an enjoyable process! Your improvement will depend entirely on the time and effort you put in. Respect your limits (without babying yourself), and expect those limits to change. Just do your best. The harder this yoga is for you, the more you need it and the more you will get out of it. There is no need to show off, nor is there a need to be embarrassed about your level of practice. The of success is in the FREQUENCY of your practice. All the hard work pays off. The effort you put into this yoga will return to you in many ways. It’s the very best thing you can do for your health, your body, your vitality, and your sense of well being.
Bikram’s teacher, Bishnu Ghosh, said “Never too late, never too old, never too bad”, to which Bikram has added: “never too sick… to start from scratch once again.”
Bikram Yoga Benefits
- Muscles, fascia and connective tissue become more elastic, allowing for greater flexibility with less chance of injury
- Sweating is promoted, which assists the detoxification process
- Blood becomes thinner, clearing the circulatory system
- Endurance is boosted through consistent practice
- Your body burns fat more effectively: fat may be redistributed and burned as energy during the class. It is common to lose centimetres in a very short time.
- The heat produces a fluid-like stretch, allowing for greater range of movement in joints, muscles, ligaments and other supporting structures of the body
- Capillaries dilate in the heat; more effectively oxygenating the tissues, muscles, glands and organs and helping in the removal of waste products
- Your peripheral circulation improves
- Your metabolism speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids
- Willpower, self-control, concentration and determination are strengthened in this challenging environment
- Your heart-rate becomes elevated, and the cardiovascular system gets a thorough workout – heart and lungs.
- Just as when your body raises its temperature to fight infection, the raised temperature in the room may assist in improving the proper functioning of your immune system.
With regular practice, discipline and honest effort you will:
- Reshape your body
- Reduce the risk of sports injury
- Reduce the effects of stress
- Clear your mind and calm your soul
- Tone and strengthen muscles
- Develop increased strength, balance, flexibility, coordination and endurance
- Increase your energy level
Bikram’s Yoga also:
- Teaches you to breathe fully and correctly
- Helps reduce symptoms of chronic illnesses and injuries
- Helps promote better sleep – you may even need less sleep
- Promotes a deep sense of well-being and a peaceful mind
- Helps in weight-loss and toning
- Improves posture and body awareness
- Improves flexibility of your spine in its range of motion in all directions, allowing improvement in the functioning of your central nervous system. Better nervous system communication means a better functioning body and mind
- Improves the healing and regenerative powers of your body
- Maintains (and regains) youthful appearance and skin tone
- Works all systems of the body: cardiovascular, nervous, lymphatic, endocrine, immune, digestive, reproductive, muscular and skeletal
- Helps to reduce stress
- Helps improve heart and lung capacity
- Lubricates the joints
- Helps to eliminate back pain by strengthening the spine
- Builds mental strength by holding your mind in a focused, meditative state.
- Gives the body a cardiovascular workout without negative impacting forces.
Disclaimer: The benefits suggested for Bikram’s Yoga are based on scientific and anecdotal evidence of improvement in many conditions – both chronic and acute – that have been witnessed by medical staff, teachers or students over many years of practicing Bikram’s Yoga. They should not be construed as a guarantee that these benefits will definitely occur for all yoga students. Consistent practice will always be the best approach. Use your own body wisdom.
This information is not intended to replace advice from your medical practitioner or natural therapies practitioner
Nearby PractitionersView all
Click on Send Me Details Now to get startedSend Me Details Now