The Bowen technique is an Australian bodywork therapy developed by the late Tom Bowen. It is different from traditional massage in that it does not require oil, can be done through clothing and works across the fibres of the muscle. Where traditional massage is flowing and substantial and can be quite deep, Bowen is more superficial and can seem disjointed due to breaks between the sets of moves.
During a session the therapist will move several fascial points and then leave you to rest for 1-2 minutes, this will be repeated many times throughout the session. If you feel the urge to sleep donít fight it, you may even get more out of your treatment session. Having completed the session some people feel that very little has been achieved, and compared to other forms of massage that is understandable. Some people feel a release taking place immediately, however the full effect of the treatment will take a few days to work. A couple of follow up visits is usually all that is necessary.
The technique is very valuable for the treatment of sporting injuries and accidental injuries. In fact a wide range of muscle and skeletal disorders can be addressed. Bowen can also help balance internal body systems.
The following are just a few of the problems that have responded well to Bowen therapy.
After your Bowen treatment
- Back and neck injuries
- Shoulder, arm and hip injuries
- Nervous stress
- Digestive disorders
- Respiratory difficulties
- Menstrual disorders
How many treatments will you need?
- Immediately following your visit it is important not to be sitting for too long (no more than an hour at a time). If travelling by car bus or train, be sure to break your journey, or walk around every hour.
- During the first two days after your treatment the body is going through a re-alignment process. Symptoms can sometimes increase during that time while the inflammation is shifting. It is important to ride this out until the body has completed this change. Do not use muscle liniments, heat or hot baths. Avoid ice packs and only use cold packs if necessary to ease any pain.
- No massage, trigger point therapy, Shiatsu or other muscle traumatising treatment should be undertaken while you are having your course of Bowen therapy.
- Drink 2 litres of water daily to assist the detoxification that is enhanced.
With Bowen therapy one treatment a week for about three weeks is the ideal starting point to address what is happening with your body. The first treatment is an hour then 45 minutes for follow ups unless an hour is needed.