Servicing area: Dunsborough, Busselton and surrounds.
If you're reading this you're obviously interested in yoga. If you're not going to read any further then let me just say - "Come try my class no matter what your age or fitness level. The basic yoga exercises make you feel REALLY GOOD!!!! Everyone needs a bit of quality yoga in their life! I'm not interested in extreme exercise. Just sensible, powerful and highly beneficial exercise for life."
Essential Yoga - About Teacher and Style of Yoga Taught
Principal teacher - Jackie Clarke
I've been teaching yoga full-time since 1996, and have experienced immense pleasure from teaching hundreds of people of all ages and levels of ability. After school, I studied Human Movement and Psychology at UWA. Instead of very nearly becoming an Exercise Physiologist or Psychologist I've ended up a Yoga Teacher which is a combination of the two fields.
When people ask "what style of yoga do you teach?" my answer is, "no single particular style - just a fusion of yoga styles, modern exercise physiology and health psychology. My preferences and influences are mainly from Iyengar Yoga, Dru Yoga, Vinyasa Flow Yoga, Pilates and Mindfulness Meditation.
The main focus in the classes is on slowing down the ageing process by working on 5 main areas:
- 1. Body Strength - It is a fact that we can become stronger at any age. Having strong bones and muscles will help us in every aspect of our life. We may become old but we certainly don't have to become frail. In the yoga classes, we work on strength using body weight. Some of the strongest people I know are over 60 and have never been to a gym in their life, they've just done yoga.
- 2. Flexibility/ Joint mobility - We can become more flexible at any age, with effort. I'm not at all interested in the extreme levels of flexibility that seem to be the focus of many yoga teachers. You don't actually have to be that flexible to be healthy. But stretching regularly does slow down the ageing process by maintaining joint mobility/ range of movement, improving circulation and joint health, and helping us to slow down and relax.
- 3. Balance - Our balance does not improve as we get older. I think everyone knows that yoga is incredibly good at improving balance. And having good balance helps us with most things in daily life.
- 4. Posture - There is nothing quite as good as yoga for straightening your spine. Some of the benefits of good posture are - you look younger, improved respiration (breathing), increased energy levels, stronger metabolism, improved mood, decreased back and neck pain, more confidence.
- 5. Relaxed state/ lowered stress levels. - Like improved posture, there is no exercise system quite like yoga for becoming more relaxed. We can't avoid stress in life. But we can learn and practice simple skills to relax our nervous system. Feeling more relaxed is guaranteed after every single Yoga session. And if you're more relaxed you sleep better, breathe better, digest better, get sick less, feel happier and age more slowly, amongst many other benefits.
Please email or ring me if you have any questions. It's okay if you have injuries as some exercises will be very helpful, and some you will avoid or modify. Don't worry too much about which class you should come to. Just choose a time that suits, and come along. I cater for all levels of ability. I emphasize to work safely within your own level, to focus on how the exercise makes you feel rather than whether you're good at it or not, and to enjoy yourself.
There are 3 classes in Dunsborough at the Naturaliste Community Centre and 8 classes at my studio in Busselton.
For more information about the best services for your needs or to organise an appointment - just give us a call!
Women’s weekend Yoga Retreats in Margaret River
You don’t have to be flexible, strong or young to enjoy the many health benefits from regular yoga practice. You simply have to give it a go and put in your best effort. In fact, if you are older, stiffer and a bit stressed you only have more to gain!? The main intention is to SLOW DOWN AGEING through exercise and relaxation practice. Just try a class and you will straight away feel benefits.
Yoga for over 40's