Find a Nutritionist in your area
- specialist psychological services for children and families.
- specialist language and literacy services for school age children.
Comprehensive assessment for children and adolescents (4-18yrs) who are experiencing difficulties with their learning (including dyslexia), language and behaviour.
Development of targeted and individualised home or school based behavioural intervention programs (in conjunction with parents and teachers), including direct liaison with schools where necessary.
Parent education and counselling.
Individual counselling for children and adolescents with emotional and/or behavioural difficulties.
Specialist language and literacy intervention.
Introducing Positive Psychology at Milestones Clinic
What is Positive Psychology?
There are many definitions of positive psychology. These are some of our favourites:
- “Positive psychology studies what makes life most worth living.”
- “Positive psychology is the branch of psychology that uses scientific understanding and effective intervention to aid in the achievement of a satisfactory life, rather than merely treating mental illness.”
- “Positive Psychology is the scientific study of the strengths that enable individuals and communities to thrive. The field is founded on the belief that people want to lead meaningful and fulfilling lives, to cultivate what is best within themselves, and to enhance their experiences of love, work, and play.”
As part of our interest in bringing the skills and science of positive psychology to children and adolescents, we are offering two programs at Milestones Clinic.
- Aussie Optimism: Positive Thinking Skills Program Years 4-6
- Aussie Optimism: Social Life Skills Program Years 5&6
What is the Aussie Optimism Program?
Aussie Optimism is an evidence-based mental health promotion program for children. Aussie Optimism is based on Positive Psychology principles and focuses on building competencies in children, rather than alleviating problems.
Aussie Optimism teaches practical skills and strategies relating to social and emotional wellbeing in children, and makes use of evidence based psychological and educational techniques.
The content of these programs is developmentally appropriate for children of different ages, and has been extensively evaluated since being developed in 1997. Research indicates that Aussie Optimism programs:
- reduce mental health difficulties
- increase recovery from depreive disorders
- reduce the incidence of suicidal ideation and behavior
- increase the recovery from suicidal ideation and behavior
- increase pro-social behaviourreduce the likelihood of drinking and smoking at later stages
Who Provides Services
The clinic comprises of endorsed specialist developmental and educational psychologists, a speech pathologist with specialist skills in literacy and a dietician.
Developmental and Educational Psychologists
Robin Harvey OAM, PhD, Dip Ed
Luisa Rossi MEd & Dev Psych, Dip Ed
Jade Bogdanovs PhD, MEd & Dev Psych
Tara Hawkins MEd & Dev Psych, Dip Ed
Tara Kelso MEd & Dev Psych, Dip Ed
Megan Storm B App Sc (Speech & Hearing)
Aileen Edmunds BSc. (Nutritian),
Dietetics, APD, AN Postgad. Dip
$185 per hour for all educational and developmental psychologists
$160 per 45 minutes for language and literacy intervention provided by specialist speech pathology services (private health rebates available)
For educational and developmental psychologists - Rebates available under the Better Access Medicare Initiative when a mental health plan has been provided by your GP. A Medicare rebate for 5 one hour sessions may also be provided under the Chronic Disease Management Scheme where this is considered an appropriate referral by your GP. Private health rebates are also available from other health funds (with the exception of HBF).
If a full assessment is required to determine underlying cognitive profile, the maximum charge for a full assessment of 2 x 2 hour sessions, detailed report and feedback session is approx. $1435. Not usually covered by Medicare but often by private health funds (not HBF).
A cancellation fee of $85 will be charged for any one hour appointments cancelled without 24 hours notification.
A cancellation fee of $185 will be charged for any two hour assessment appointments cancelled without 24 hours notification.
Fees are subject to change without notice and should be paid on the day of the appointment.