What is massage therapy?
Massage is the technique used by massage therapists where they put pressure or manipulate the soft tissues and muscles of the body. Some of the benefits of a massage therapy treatment include:
- Quicker injury recovery
- Reduced muscle tension
- Improved flexibility
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Improved circulation
- Heightened mental alertness
- Increased joint mobility
- Reduced stress hormones
There is a vast array of massage specialties available in Australia, some of them include:
- Lymphatic drainage
- Chinese Massage
- Bowen Therapy
- Sports Massage
- Remedial Massage
The associations that massage therapists based in Toowoomba can register with in order to keep up to date with industry trends and gain career development opportunities include:
- Association of Massage Therapists (AMT)
- Myotherapy Association Australia (MAA)
- Massage & Myotherapy Association (MMA)
- Massage Association of Australia (MAA)
Should you complete a massage course?
Do you aspire to have a career where you get to improve the physical and emotional well-being of others? If you answered yes, massage therapy is the perfect career for you. In order to succeed as a massage therapist in Toowoomba, it is necessary that you possess the following skills:
- A passion for health and wellness and the motivation to help others feel better so that they can succeed in all areas of their lives.
- Physically strong especially performing numerous massage techniques especially considering you will be seeing 6 or more clients per day.
- High levels of confidentiality and integrity when dealing with personal and medical information.
If there is an alignment between your career ambitions and skills with what is mentioned above then continue reading to learn more about your course and career opportunities in the Toowoomba region.
What are the course and study options for massage therapists in Toowoomba?
If you are interested in learning more about massage therapy and the work that massage therapists do on a daily basis, it is highly encouraged that you enrol in the Introduction to Massage Therapy course. Once you finish this quick 2-day course, you can pursue a longer course. In Toowoomba, the minimum requirement of working as a massage therapist is that you complete a Certificate IV in Massage Therapy. This can be completed on-campus, online or through a blended learning system.
During these courses, you will delve into neuromuscular techniques, human anatomy and relaxation massage. Furthermore, you will be able to gain some practical experience through working with a professionally trained massage therapist which will subsequently build your professional experience.
If you are set on beginning your career as a massage therapist in Toowoomba, this page will give you an in-depth overview of the course options. If you have any questions regarding their term dates, delivery modes and payment plans you can get in touch with them directly.
What happens after you complete your massage course in Toowoomba?
As a graduate of massage therapy, you will be eligible to commence your professional journey in Toowoomba. Some of the workplace settings that are constantly looking to hire massage therapists include day spas, sports clubs, rehabilitation clinics, luxury resorts and massage centres.
If you seek a career where you get to have a greater degree of control over your business management, it is highly recommended that you start your own private practice. Natural Therapy Pages can assist you with this process by driving traffic and awareness for your services. By letting you list either your face-to-face massage services or online sessions you will have less trouble in finding new clients.
In Queensland, there are many statutory and regulatory codes that you must know and uphold as a health practitioner:
- Health Ombudsman Act 2013 ensures health practitioners in Queensland maintain high standards of health services.
- Child Protection Act 1999 is for healthcare professionals who work directly with children and their families with the aim to keep children and adolescents out of harm's way.
- The National Code of Conduct for Health Care Workers (Queensland) sets minimum standards of conduct for all unregistered healthcare professionals in Queensland to ensure the protection of the public.
Finally, it is highly recommended that you enhance your knowledge of massage therapy through completing further education such as a specialised training course.