Professional Association for Natural Medicine Practitioners
Servicing areaMeadowbank, New South Wales
The Australian Traditional Medicine Society is the largest national professional association of natural medicine practitioners in Australia, with over 12,000 members in various modalities.
ATMS offers professional practitioners of natural medicine promotion and representation, encouraging them to pursue the highest ideals of professionalism in their practice and education.
Founded in 1984 as a not-for-profit company with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, it is the only natural medicine practitioner association appointed to two statutory committees of the Commonwealth, where it represents the interests of the natural medicine practitioner profession.
ATM represents the needs of practitioners in the following fields:
- Ayurvedic Medicine
- Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Chinese Massage
- Remedial Massage
- Thai Massage
- Tibetan Medicine
- Western Herbal Medicine
How Does ATMS Serve Its Community and Members?
- A commitment to high-quality entry requirements for prospective members.
- Student membership is free.
- Subsidised continuing professional education seminars for members.
- Strict enforcement of the Code of Professional Ethics and Code of Conduct
- ATMS provides annual Simon Schot Student Awards worth $5,000 per year.
- Continuing professional education opportunities for members.
- Providing members with subsidised continuing education.
- The Society’s Complaints Committee, which provides effective mechanisms for resolving public complaints handles complaints.
- A members-only area on the website that allows them to update their business listings, manage their Noticeboard listings and access the EBSCO database and Greenlinks, with more features planned.
- An 1800 free-call number is available for the public and practitioners to reach the Society's administrative offices directly.
- ATMS maintains computerised databases and systems for membership, accreditation, and course recognition.
- ATMS only recognises courses that meet its strict requirements.
- The ATMS National Administration Office is staffed and open five days a week.
- Members elect directors through a democratic voting system
- Maintaining ongoing audits of policies and operational processes.
- Conducting external audits of policies, procedures, and processes to ensure compliance with legal requirements, best practices, and governance principles.
- Consulting and collaborating with other professional associations
- Communication with ministers, regulatory agencies and government departments
- ATMS offers three types of membership: Accredited, Student, and Associate.
- ATMS Journal (JATMS) is published four times a year to provide the public with the latest information and to keep members updated on issues affecting their field.
- The ATMS practitioner finder should assist the public in locating an ATMS accredited practitioner.
- Providing members with regular emails to keep them informed about the latest developments in natural medicine
- Providing easy access to ATMS Policies, Constitution, Code of Conduct, Complaints forms and Membership Application forms.
- Reporting on the Association's activities and performance in an annual report
- Conducting National Workforce Surveys every 3 years.
Learn more about ATMS by visiting the website.
Click on Send Me Details Now to get startedSend Me Details Now