What is massage?
Massages involve the manipulation, pressure, tension or motion of soft tissues and muscles of the body. The techniques used by massage therapists not only address the main complaint but also improve blood circulation, relaxation, flexibility and improves the circulatory function. They help clients foster positive thoughts and emotions and therefore allow them to make sound decisions that will improve their quality of life.
In addition, some industry associations that Brisbane massage therapists can be a member of include:
- Association of Massage Therapists (AMT)
- Australian Natural Therapists Association (ANTA)
- Massage Association of Australia (MAA)
Should you complete a massage course?
Do you want a career where you can help and guide others to achieve a balanced lifestyle free from pain? If you answered yes, massage therapy is the perfect course and career path for you. The key interpersonal characters that you must possess to become a massage therapist include:
- Strong communication skills when going over proposed treatment plans with clients.
- Mental stamina and physical strength when performing numerous massage techniques especially considering you will be seeing 6 or more clients per day.
- High levels of integrity when handling clients' personal and medical information.
- A passion for health and wellness and the motivation to help others feel better so that they can succeed in all areas of their lives.
What are the course and study options for massage therapists in Brisbane?
Massage schools in Brisbane are filled with opportunities for aspiring massage therapists. Whether you want to earn a certificate, a diploma or an advanced diploma, you have an abundance of courses to choose from. Not only will these provide you with the qualifications that you need to excel in your career, but they will also gain you membership eligibility to Australia's peak associations for qualified practitioners.
In terms of the minimum requirements, it is necessary that you complete a Certificate in Massage Therapy if you want to work in the Brisbane massage industry. Accredited massage therapy schools in Brisbane offer part-time options perfect if you have other work or family commitments. Additionally, you also have the flexibility to complete them on-campus, online or through a blended learning system.
These courses are taught by experts who have years of experience in the massage therapy industry. The theoretical and practical aspects of their courses go over different techniques of massage, explanation of the moves and how it impacts the human body.
To start your journey today, all you have to do is scroll up to find a comprehensive list of a range of massage schools in the Brisbane region. You can contact them to learn more about their curriculum, payment schemes and delivery methods.
What happens after you complete your massage course in Brisbane?
Working as a massage therapist allows you to pursue a fulfilling career in a massage clinic, day spa, luxury resort or rehabilitation facility. Also, after you gain some experience, you have the option to work in your own private practice, giving you the opportunity to set your own hours around your preferred lifestyle. It is also important to note that all massage therapists in Brisbane are required to display a copy of it on their work premises. If you decide to pursue this option, you will be able to have your massage therapy services listed on Natural Therapy Pages.
However, massage therapy isn't a profession without any challenges. While we're positive that you have the potential to make your clients happy and satisfied all the time, a complaint may pop up and put your job and reputation on the line. To prevent that from happening, it is important to understand Queensland's statutory codes that apply to all health practitioners:
- Health Ombudsman Act 2013 ensures health practitioners in Queensland maintain high standards of health services.
- Child Protection Act 1999 is for healthcare professionals who work directly with children and their families with the aim to keep children and adolescents out of harm's way.
- The National Code of Conduct for Health Care Workers (Queensland) sets minimum standards of conduct for all unregistered healthcare professionals in Queensland to ensure the protection of the public.
Finally, the process of learning and expanding your knowledge does not stop after you get your first Certificate. It is highly encouraged that you continue to seek ways to expand your skills and knowledge on massage therapy through the vast array of short courses and postgraduate studies which also allow you to do in-depth through a major or specialisation.