What is massage therapy?
Massages are the rehabilitation or manipulation of an individual's body with the purpose of addressing and reducing pain. This form of treatment brings many long-term healing benefits like reduced muscle tension, better circulation, reduced stress hormones, improved joint mobility and improved recovery of soft tissues. Some of the common reasons that people decide to visit massage therapists include:
- Muscle tension
- Sports injuries
- Postural strains
- High blood pressure
- Soft tissue injuries
- Chronic pain
- Neck and back pain
- Damaged tissues
- Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
Massage therapists in Ballarat have the opportunity to join a range of different associations such as:
- Association of Massage Therapists (AMT)
- Massage Association of Australia (MAA)
- Massage & Myotherapy Association (MMA)
- Myotherapy Association Australia (MAA)
Should you complete a massage course?
Do you want a career where you get to help others alleviate their pain so they can live their life to the fullest? If this mirrors your career aspirations, then completing a massage course is the perfect next step for you to take. Furthermore, in order to be a successful massage therapist, you will need to have the following interpersonal skills:
- Strong critical thinking skills to be able to accurately pinpoint the root cause of the problems.
- Dependable and high attention to detail in order to choose the most appropriate and safest massage techniques and procedures that will best alleviate a client's pain.
- Strong communication skills to accurately and clearly explain how each massage session will be conducted and why it would be beneficial for the client.
If you match the above characteristics and aspirations, continue reading to find out the steps you should take today in order to become a massage therapist in Ballarat.
What are the course and study options for massage therapists in Ballarat?
In order to be a qualified massage therapist in Ballarat, you must obtain a Certificate IV in Massage Therapy. There are many different course providers in this region that offer a variety of different options that fit your desired schedule and study pace. Some of the options that you can choose from include on-campus, online and blended learning study choices.
When studying at one of these massage therapy schools you will be introduced to a variety of topics that will collectively give you an in-depth understanding of the knowledge required to be a massage therapist. This includes anatomy, body mechanisms, physiology in addition to massage and manipulation techniques. Moreover, the practical work placement also will give you insight into what the work of a massage therapist entails.
If you are ready to start studying to become a massage therapist, Natural Therapy Pages has made it easier for you to find the perfect school for you through the list of some of the massage course providers in the Ballarat region. This will allow you to explore all your options and even give you the chance to enquire with a specific school about their program before you enrol.
What happens after you complete your massage course in Ballarat?
Massage therapists in Ballarat work in a variety of different work settings such as massage clinics, personal care services, health practitioners' offices, sports clubs, recreational centres, aged care facilities or rehabilitation facilities. However, it is important that you comply with state government statutes that are relevant to all health practitioners in the Victoria region:
- Health Complaints Act 2016 where the public can lodge a complaint on a health provider to the HCC.
- Health Records Act 2001 protects an individual's medical history and personal privacy which ensures the safe and effective delivery of health services in Victoria.
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 outlines the health and safety standards that all health workers must follow at all times.
- Code of Conduct for General Health Services applies to all massage therapists in Victoria.
After a couple of years working in the massage industry where they have developed and refined their techniques and knowledge, massage therapists will be able to start their own private practice. This will give them the ability to retain a greater degree of control over their business operations. If this is an option you decide to pursue in the future, Natural Therapy Pages will be there to assist you along the way in attaining new clients by letting you list your in-person massage services or online sessions via the practitioner listing page.
It is highly encouraged that you pursue further education after completing your initial certification training. This includes either an undergraduate degree or diploma course where you can develop your skills and knowledge in massage therapy.