What is Hellerwork therapy?
Hellerwork Therapy is a bodywork therapy that is designed to realign the body’s natural structure to obtain overall health, improve body posture, and reduce physical and mental stress. It was developed by aerospace engineer Joseph Heller in the 1970s.
How does Hellerwork therapy work?
Hellerwork Therapy releases unwanted tension and posture from the body which allows for new possibilities in sense of freedom, flexibility, movement, and general well-being. It is designed to release the accumulated rigidity existing in the deep connective tissue called fascia. Using its three main components, it helps return the body to a more normal and more optimal and alignment which creates an increased sense of vitality.
The three main components of Hellerwork Therapy, namely deep connective tissue bodywork, movement education and self awareness dialogue, are designed to help bring the person and their body to a more optimal state after having experienced various normal influences such as aging, strain, injury, and repetitive and poor movement habits.
- Deep Connective Tissue Bodywork releases the tension that currently exists in the connective tissue, and help systematically return the body to an aligned position.
- Movement Education helps a person to become profoundly aware of their body and their movement patterns, and therefore discover an easier and fuller ways of moving.
- Self Awareness Dialogue helps a person to become more aware and responsible for how their feelings, thoughts, and beliefs affect their posture and overall health of the body.
What to expect from a Hellerwork therapy session
A session of Hellerwork Therapy usually starts with a health and lifestyle history of the client. The practitioner may take photographs to compare body posture before and after the treatment. Hellerwork Therapy typically lasts at around 90 minutes and up to 11 sessions.
Each session will focus on a specific area of the body and the corresponding emotion related to that area. The practitioner will perform soft manipulation techniques and educates the client about how to properly stand, sit, and walk without causing strain to the body.
Practitioners of Hellerwork Therapy often use "guided verbal dialogue" to help the clients address their emotions that affect breathing and lock muscles.
Health benefits of Hellerwork therapy
The following are some health benefits that can be receiving after a hellerwork therapy session:
- Improved body posture
- Increased flexibility and fluidity of movement
- Increased range of motion
- Relief from chronic pains and aches
- Better balance and coordination
- Fuller and easier breathing
- Reduced tension and stress
- Increased vitality, energy and stamina
- Heightened body awareness
- Enhanced performance in dance, theatre and sport
Also, Hellerwork therapy is used for the following conditions:
- Poor body posture
- Sports related injuries
- Muscle pain
- Stress and stress-related problems
- Conditions associated with poor posture