Annie Vidler - Counselling Anxiety + Depression
Help through Counselling and Psychotherapy
Like many people, you may have spent much of your time looking after or providing for others over the course of your life. Sometimes it’s easy to lose the sense of who you are when you’re focused on trying to be a good partner, child, lover, parent or friend, or you might feel torn between what you’d like for yourself and what you think is expected of you.
Even when you experience areas of success in your life, there might be an inner struggle for a sense of meaning and purpose or a feeling of loneliness or emptiness, or difficulty achieving or maintaining satisfying relationships. Alternatively there may be persistent feelings, thoughts or memories from the past that cause you pain. It could be something that happened relatively recently, or it could be an abusive or traumatic situation or relationship that happened years ago, including when you were a child.
Can you relate to any of these experiences of anxiety?
- You experience signs of panic (racing heart, breathlessness, fearfulness).
- You avoid social situations, or feel stressed about leaving the house.
- You’re often on ‘high alert’ or feel like you’re ‘walking on eggshells’, or feel restless or tense. Or perhaps you have bouts of irritability or anger or engage in controlling behaviours towards others
- Self-doubt or losses of confidence sometimes paralyse you,.
- You have trouble saying ‘no’ or setting boundaries with others.
- You have the same thoughts over and over that you can’t seem to control.
- You have frequent nightmares or intrusive memories.
- You overuse alcohol, drugs, gambling, food, or other things to de-stress, feel calmer, or simply feel ‘normal’.
Can you relate to any of these experiences of depression?
- You feel a deep sadness and perhaps find yourself crying a lot.
- You struggle to feel motivated or interested in your life.
- You are often lonely or miserable, even if you are able to put on a happy front to the world around you.
- You sometimes feel you can’t go on, perhaps you have even had thoughts of suicide, or physically harmed yourself.
- Experiences in your past still bring up painful memories or difficult feelings.
- You have difficulty sleeping, or sleep too much.
- You feel like ‘something’s missing’ or have a feeling of longing or emptiness inside.
- You struggle with feelings that you are not good enough.
If you can relate to any of the above symptoms, you are not alone.
Many people experience these feelings over the course of their lifetime. Each of us is unique but in general terms, a combination of biological/genetic makeup, early childhood developmental experiences and other life experiences shape your present day thoughts feelings and behaviours.
No matter how depressed or anxious you feel, relief is available via Counselling or Psychotherapy – either individually or, for relationship help, as part of a dyad (with a partner for couples counselling).
You don’t have to keep battling on your own
Counselling and Psychotherapy sessions with me will give you access to:
- More positive feelings about yourself and your life.
- Increased ability to manage and tolerate stress and change.
- A greater sense of calm and a greater sense of aliveness
- More freedom from negative habits of coping such as over-eating, alcohol or drug use, problem gambling, self-harming or other ‘self-destructive’ patterns of behaviour.
- Happier and healthier relationships.
- A fuller sense of purpose in life and optimism about your future.
- Greater confidence, hopefulness, and ability to assert yourself.
- Strength to set and maintain boundaries with others when you need to.
- Greater relief from the legacies of past abuse, trauma, loss or pain that continue to impact you and limit your life
My Approach to Therapy:
As a therapist, I draw on a blend of skills, experience, and proven methods and offer an holistic approach. By engaging in therapy, we will not only work on the symptoms you experience, but also search for the cause of your pain, so that we can resolve it at the root level.
My Counselling style takes into consideration your experiences and roles as a woman or man in society and the impact this has on your depression and anxiety.
If you’re ready to overcome your symptoms of anxiety or depression, consider undertaking Counselling with me.
For more information or to book, call, visit my website or click on one of the buttons below to message me