A/Prof Kouris (PhD Nutrition) has over 30yrs experience as a clinical dietitian, specialising in:a) medical nutrition therapy
for treatment/ management of many conditions
, their use and their interactions with medications.
She is an experienced clinical dietitian with a unique set of skills and knowledge due to her academic background as an A/Professor in nutrition/dietetics at La Trobe University, PhD in nutrition from the Faculty of Medicine at Monash University, Degrees/Diplomas in Biochemistry, Dietetics and Botanic Medicine, author of text books (see below) in nutrition and published research papers, past editor of a medical nutrition journal and nutrition research fellow at Monash university. She has also developed a unique range of healthy snacks that can help with weight management and blood sugars. Range includes gluten free (based on a legume lupin) and low fodmap. www.skinnybik.com.
She continues to do nutrition research, especially on the health benefits of lupin and on the Mediterranean diet.
Read my interview with journalist Clancy Tucker about my research, books and special dietary cookies.
SERVICES ON OFFER
A/Prof Kouris takes a holistic approach to patient care with the ultimate goal being improved wellness and optimal health. She goes beyond simple dietary coaching for the management of the presenting condition.
She will address nutrition related symptoms which may involve multiple organs, nutritional insufficiencies/deficiencies caused by the condition/diet/medication/environment. Treatment includes tailored dietary prescription and evidence based short term tailored medical nutrition therapy to aid in the management of the condition(s) and improvement of wellness.
Why not download our brochure here and read more about my services.
- Over 30 years experience as a clinical dietitian, working in hospital settings and in private practice at over 10 medical clinics during this period. She has worked with and been mentored by Professor Mark Wahlqvist, respected leader in the field of medical nutrition therapy and research at Monash University Department of Medicine for nearly 20 years.
- She is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Dietetics , La Trobe University (2011-)
- She was the Managing Editor of a clinical nutrition journal (Asia Pacific Journal Clinical Nutrition) (2002-2006)
- She was a Nutrition Scientist and Lecturer in Nutrition in the Faculty of Medicine at Monash University (1988-2002) and an Honorary Nutrition Research Fellow at the Monash Asia Institute ("reader" of nutrition/herbal research) (2002-2006)
- She did research on the diabetic diet (Honours) and PhD/Post Doc on 800 elderly people from 5 countries to determine how diet (especially Mediterranean diet) and lifestyle affects health and longevity. Skin health and medicinal use of herbs/spices/foods was also studied. The results were published on a cd-rom "Food Habits in Later Life". She has also supervised 4 PhD nutrition students in the Faculty of Medicine at Monash and is currently supervising 2 PhD students at La Trobe University.
- She has over 45 research papers (including BMJ, AmJClinNutr, Br J Nutr) and has co-authored 35 chapters to 7 university text books "Food and Nutrition" (3 editions, editor Professor Mark Wahlqvist, Australia), "Nutrition and Metabolism" (editor Gibney, UK) and "Evidence based Integrative Medicine" (editor Kotsirilos et al)
- She has coauthored over 50 articles for Victorian gov. website BetterHealth Channel; coauthored 7 reports for Australian Gov. on preventative medicine
- Developed on-line nutrition and wellness courses for Monash medical students, for general public and for ongoing GP education (Primed/ In Touch).
- Scientific referee for papers submitted to the Journal Nutrition and Dietetics, Journal of Complementary Medicine and Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Managing Editor, academic nutrition website owned by Prof Wahlqvist http://www.healthyeatingclub.org, 2000-2010
- Accredited Practising Dietitian and Member of Dietitians Association of Australia for over 30 yrs
- Member, Australian Integrative Medicine Association
- Professional Member, Diabetes Australia Vic
- Professional Member, Coeliac Society Vic
$10 gap for patients on Medicare Enhanced Primary Care Plans or EPC (bulkbilling available for pensions/health care card holders on EPCs). Ask your GP if you are eligible for an EPC; you need to have a chronic health condition.
- $60/30 mins for private patients: (rebates from private health insurance available for dietetics for policies with "extras").
- First appointment: assessment only (30min). If you wish to have diet prescription as well you will need a 45-60min appointment ($90-$120).
- Short follow up appointments also available (15min, $30).
Working hours: Thursday (9.30-5pm) and Saturday (9.30-3pm) in Murrumbeena (488 Neerim Rd). Other days at 167 Charman Rd, Beaumaris.
Please FAX CARE PLANS prior to appointments to: Fax: 95154544
For more information about the best services for your needs or to organise an appointment - just give us a call!