With the rise of allopathic medicine in the 20th century, herbal medicine schools went into decline. Fortunately, the healing power of herbs has been recognised again in the 21st century and herbal medicine schools are flourishing again. Does a career in herbal medicine sound intriguing to you? Here's what you need to know:
Herbal Medicine Schools in Australia
Within the broad framework of herbal medicine, a variety of systems have evolved. A few of these include:
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
- Nutritional medicine
All of these traditions and more are taught by herbal medicine course providers in Australia.
Study Options at Herbal Medicine Colleges
Herbal medicine colleges usually offer a complete range of study options. If you choose, you can take a single course in a subject of interest to you. For example, a herbal medicine course provider may offer the following options:
- Classes in specific disciplines such as iridology. These can be taken alone or applied to a more advanced certificate or diploma.
- Certificate level classes in related modalities such as therapeutic massage.
- Advanced diplomas in fields such as naturopathy, Western herbal medicine or TCM.
- Home study courses for personal enrichment. These will enable you to prepare herbal medicines for your own use, but not as part of a professional practice.
How to Choose an Herbal Medicine School
If you have career ambitions, it is important to choose a herbal medicine school that is accredited by the relevant governing bodies for a specific discipline and is a recognised and accredited state or national teaching institution.
You can find the herbal medicine course provider of your choice with the search facility at the top of the page. If more than one herbal medicine college that specialises in your area of interest is listed, compare two or more. If you are interested in a class in a specific modality (such as iridology), look at the range of courses available at a few herbal medicine colleges and you will probably find at least one that offers the course you're interested in.