What is colour therapy?
Colour Therapy is a holistic treatment which aims to stimulate the body’s innate healing process using the seven colours of the spectrum. It also aims to balance and enhance the "Chakras", or the body’s energy centres.
Each of the seven colours are coexisting with one of the main seven Chakras. When one of the Chakras is out of balance, applying the appropriate colour to the body can help rebalance the energy.
The following lists the seven colours and their corresponding chakra:
- Violet - crown chakra
- Indigo - brow chakra
- Blue - throat chakra
- Green - heart chakra
- Yellow - solar plexus chakra
- Orange - sacral chakra
- Red - base chakra
How does colour therapy work?
Colour Therapy is a holistic, non-invasive therapy that is said to bring good health and balance to the body and mind. The vibrations of the colours can help enhance mood and improve overall health. Scientifically, it has been proven that colours can affect moods and perception.
Colours are made up of reflected lights that hit the retina of the eyes as wavelengths vibrate. Then, the brain interprets these wavelengths, which makes the perception of colour a physical and emotional experience. Colour therapy is based on the idea that colours create electrical impulses in the brain that can stimulate several hormonal and biochemical process in the process.
What is color therapy used for?
Colour Therapy is used for treating both physical and emotional problems. It may also involve exposure to coloured lights, massages using colour-saturated oils, visualising and contemplating colours, even wearing coloured clothing and eating coloured foods.
Benefits of colour therapy
Each of the seven colours creates various physical and emotional states:
- Violet - Helps create self awareness, self knowledge, and greater insights and renewal. This colour is associated with the treatment of various mental imbalances such as confusion, dizziness, and depression. Also, it is known to soothe mental and emotional stress and encourage meditation.
- Indigo - Helps create a balanced environment. This colour is associated with self responsibility. It is known for opening intuition and helping with studying.
- Blue - Helps create relaxation. This colour is associated with peace, serenity, and quieting the mind. Also, it is known for promoting sleep and helps people with sleep issues.
- Green - Helps bring energy and balance to the heart. This colour is associated with self love and compassion. Also, it is known for relieving headaches.
- Yellow - Has a stimulating, purifying, and cleansing effect. This colour is associated with wisdom and mental clarity. Also, it is known to clear mental fatigue and help re-energize the body and mind
- Orange - Helps energize the body and mood. This colour is associated with the stimulation of internal organs like the liver and kidneys. Also, it is known for helping increase mental energy and fostering courage
- Red - Helps heal, revitalize, and stimulate the body and mind. This colour is associated with courage, power, and fostering energy. Also, it is known for helping increase circulation, clear circulatory blockages, and ease lethargy and tiredness.