What Is Colour Therapy?
Colour therapy is a holistic treatment that stimulates the body's innate healing process using the seven colours of the spectrum. It also aims to balance and enhance the "Chakras", or the body's energy centres.
Each of the seven colours coexists with one of the main seven chakras. When one of the chakras is out of balance, applying the appropriate colour to the body can help rebalance the energy.
The following lists the seven colours and their corresponding chakra:
- Violet - crown chakra
- Indigo - brow chakra
- Blue - throat chakra
- Green - heart chakra
- Yellow - solar plexus chakra
- Orange - sacral chakra
- Red - base chakra
How Does Colour Therapy Work?
Colour Therapy is a holistic, non-invasive therapy that is said to bring good health and balance to the body, mind and emotions. The vibrations of colours can help enhance mood and improve overall health. Scientifically, it has been proven that colours can affect moods and perception.
Colours are made up of reflected lights that hit the retina of the eyes as wavelengths vibrate. Then, the brain interprets these wavelengths, which makes the perception of colour a physical and emotional experience. Colour therapy is based on the idea that colours create electrical impulses in the brain that can stimulate several hormonal and biochemical processes.
What Are the Benefits of Colour Therapy?
Colour therapy is used for treating both physical, mental and emotional problems. It may also involve exposure to coloured lights, massages using colour-saturated oils, visualising and contemplating colours, even wearing coloured clothing and eating coloured foods.
Each of the seven colours creates various physical and emotional states:
- Violet helps create self awareness, self knowledge, and greater insights and renewal. This colour is associated with the treatment of various mental imbalances such as confusion, dizziness, and depression. Also, it is known to soothe mental and emotional stress and encourage meditation.
- Indigo creates a balanced environment. This colour is associated with self-responsibility. It is known for opening intuition and helping with studying.
- Blue creates relaxation. It is associated with peace, serenity, and quieting the mind. Also, it is known for promoting sleep and resolving sleep issues.
- Green brings energy and balance to the heart. This colour is associated with self-love and compassion. It also helps relieve chronic pain and headaches.
- Yellow has a stimulating, purifying, and cleansing effect. This colour is associated with wisdom and mental clarity. It also clears mental fatigue and helps re-energize the body and mind.
- Orange stimulates creativity, joy and pleasure. This colour is associated with the stimulation of internal organs like the liver and kidneys. Also, it is known for helping increase mental energy and fostering courage.
- Red heals, revitalises, and stimulates the body and mind. This colour is associated with courage, power, and fostering energy. Also, it is known for helping increase circulation, clear circulatory blockages, and ease lethargy and tiredness.
What Can You Expect From Colour Therapy?
A colour therapy session can last for 45 minutes to an hour and a half. The duration depends on the health condition the colours are used for and how they are applied. For example, when colour therapy is used in conjunction with massage therapy, coloured lights are projected on different parts of the client's body that require healing. It can also be incorporated into art therapy or used as a visualisation tool to help a client resolve emotional issues.
A treatment session doesn't always use all seven colours, as some people only require one or a couple of colours to improve their physical health and emotional state. For instance, a person suffering from chronic pain or migraines will find relief from the colour green. So, the therapist might place a jade crystal on the client's heart chakra or let them walk outdoors and commune with nature.
Before your treatment session begins, the colour therapist will assess your physical and emotional health before taking you through the positive effects of colours. Then, you will be asked which areas of your health will benefit from each colour. Be as honest as possible with your answers to be able reap all the benefits of your treatment session.
Is Colour Therapy Safe?
Colour therapy is safe for people of all ages as it doesn't pose any side effects, plus it significantly reduces one's dependence on pain relievers. It doesn't cause nausea, headaches, irregular bowel movement, muscle weakness or fatigue, among other side effects common in pain medications and mood stabilisers. Most importantly, it shifts negative emotions and allows you to develop a new perspective on life.