What is reflexology?
Reflexology is an alternative medicine which involves the application of an appropriate amount of pressure to specific points, called reflex points on the feet, hands, or ears with various techniques without using oil or lotion. It is believed that these reflex points correspond to different body parts and organs, and by applying pressure on them creates relaxation and positive health benefits to the person.
Generally, reflexology is relaxing and may help in reducing stress. Several studies have indicated that reflexology helps in reducing pain and psychological symptoms like anxiety and stress. It also helps in improving sleep and relaxation.
How does reflexology work?
Reflexologists use foot maps or charts to guide them in applying pressure to target areas. It can be combined with other hands-on therapies to further assist them in helping the body to heal and regenerate itself.
There are several theories on how the process works.
- Reflexology works with the central nervous system
- Reflexology helps reduce pain by improving mood and reducing stress
- Reflexology keeps the body’s natural energy flowing
- Zone theory where the body is divided into ten vertical zones
It is interesting to note the various guiding principles used in reflexology:
- A reflexologist does not heal the client; the body repairs and heals itself
- Human beings consist of a physical and emotional body where the mind and spirit are interdependent.
- Healing is facilitated when the human body responds to touch
- Reflexologists and clients may feel the energy moving.
What is reflexology good for?
Reflexology is excellent in relieving stress by reducing tension and stimulating relaxation. It can also boost your mood and help improve sleep. Many recipients of reflexology have claimed that their sleep has greatly improved after receiving treatment.
Benefits of reflexology massage
There are several important and well-supported benefits associated with reflexology massage, including:
- Increases and balances energy levels
- Increases blood circulation
- Promotes relaxation
- Reduces headaches
- Eliminates body toxins
- Speeds up healing time
- Improves nerve function
- Stimulates the nervous system
- Relieves side effects of cancer treatment
- Eases pregnancy
- Enhances overall wellbeing