What is Magnetic Field Therapy?
Magnetic field therapy is a noninvasive, drug-free form of treatment that uses different kinds of magnets to relieve pain, facilitate overall healing and improve the quality of life. The treatment is based on a theory that magnets produce magnetic fields that can penetrate the body and affect the functioning of the individual cells as well as improve the workings of the nervous system and other organs. It is also believed that magnets have healing powers that are associated with muscle pain and stiffness.
How Does Magnetic Field Therapy Work?
Magnetic field therapy is mostly used as a treatment option for different types of pain such as in the back and feet. Scientists have studied its use for conditions like arthritis pain, headaches, insomnia, wound healing, and fibromyalgia pain.
The modality is based on the concept that ailments or diseases occur when the electromagnetic fields in the cells of the body are out of balance. The application of magnetic devices to the body is believed to restore balance to the body's electromagnetic fields and improve overall health and wellbeing. There are three types of magnetic field therapy that can help balance out the body's electromagnetic fields:
- Electromagnetic therapy utilizes copper coils to send an electrical pulse throughout the body, stimulating the cells to restart their electrical processes so that the body can restore its innate healing mechanism as well as its normal functions.
- Static magnetic field therapy involves the use of magnetic devices on the person's body like a magnetic bracelet, magnetic shoe insoles, or letting them sleep on a mattress with a magnet woven into its material.
- Magnetic therapy with acupuncture is the third type of magnetic field therapy that focuses on the same spots on the skin an acupuncturist would target during an acupuncture session to regulate the body's energy channels.
Magnetic field therapy is not thought to have complications or negative side effects when it is used in combination with other conventional medical treatments. However, despite being generally safe for most people, magnetic field therapy is not recommended to those who are using a pacemaker, an insulin pump, or who are pregnant.
What are the Benefits of Magnetic Field Therapy?
Manipulating the body's electromagnetic fields with magnets can help reduce stress, induce relaxation, treat illness and injuries and manage several conditions, including:
- Chronic pain
- Insomnia and other sleep disorders
- High blood pressure
- Bone fractures and damaged tissues
- Poor circulation
- Hand osteoarthritis
- Limited range of motion
What Can You Expect From Magnetic Field Therapy?
Magnetic field therapy is a painless, noninvasive procedure that involves the direct application of the electromagnetic field of a magnetic device to the body of the client to treat different regions of pain or a localised area that causes their illness. The treatment procedure depends on the type of magnetic field therapy that they have consented to.
Magnetic field therapy is performed on the client fully clothed, and it can take anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. The frequency of the therapy will depend on the condition of the client; some people get the results they want after two sessions, while others take longer.
Is Magnetic Field Therapy Safe?
Whether it involves wearing a magnetised bracelet, having electromagnetic energy delivered into your cells in a series of pulses, or stimulating your energy channels in the style of acupuncture, magnetic field therapy is considered safe and extremely beneficial, especially when used alongside conventional treatments. However, it would be best to consult your doctor first before trying this modality.