What is feng shui?
Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese art that involves the manipulation and arrangement of the surrounding environment to attract "Chi" or positive life energy. It is believed that people are affected by their environments, both positively or negatively. Feng Shui aims to unblock these obstacles or obstructions in order for Chi to smoothly flow.
Feng Shui which means "wind and water" originates back thousands of years ago when it was used originally to choose burial sites for locations of wealthy Chinese and Royal palaces. People have studied the signs that the earth left behind such as meandering streams or wind worn trees to avoid problems of flood or wind damage during construction of important buildings.
What are the basic principles of feng shui?
The classical Feng Shui has been used for over 4000 years and uses several principles:
- Chi or life force - The invisible energy that constantly runs through the earth and animates all living things
- Yin and Yang - Used in evaluating and determining the nature of an environment
- Five Elements - Each element is associated with its own particular forms, materials, and colors
- Trigrams - Formed when three of lines of the yin and yang are overlapped
What are the 5 elements of feng shui?
The five basic elements of are the guiding principles used in Feng Shui to build a well-balanced home and life. These five basic elements are: fire, earth, metal, water, and wood.
Feng Shui Practitioners suggests that these elements have their own chi signatures and each has an effect on how they might make a person feel.
- Expansive, spreading movement
- Transformative and changeable
- Warm or kind to hot or passionate
- Triangular shapes
- Colors are reds and oranges
- Stable, grounding, little to no movement
- Centered and nurturing
- Square and rectangular shapes
- Colors are browns, tans, ochre and yellows
- Contracting and rigid
- Righteous and correct
- Circles, spheres
- Colors are white, metallic and pale greys and blues
- Deep, still and wise or flowing, circulating and connecting
- Cool and dark
- Clarity and wisdom
- Formless and undulating
- Colors are black, dark gray and dark blue
- Growing upward moving energy
- Vital and active
- New growth, flexible like bamboo
- Columnar shapes
- Colors are greens, mid-blues and teals
The shape, color, or material that represents the five elements are used to shift the energy in the home, places of work, or within our body. The strongest way of enhancing and activating a particular energy type is to bring the actual element in to a space.
What is good and bad feng shui?
Feng Shui is considered good when the Chi energy is flowing smoothly. However, it should be noted that Feng Shui is considered bad if the energy created is negative, known as SSha Chi", stagnant, unbalanced, or poorly flows. These conditions disallow the optimal flow of positive energy and may lead to undesirable situations.
Poison arrows are conditions that produce Sha chi. Some conditions can be altered by rearranging while others are permanent fixtures that require remedies to help balance the energy.