What Is Core Energetics?
Core energetics is a modality that works on the system of the body, mind, energy, and soul to access and clear unconscious traumas. Furthermore, it builds upon several disciplines such as psychology, psychoanalysis, and characterology. It was developed by doctor John C. Pierrakos in the 1970s. The approach was influenced by the work carried out by several prominent figures in psychology such as Freud, Jung, and Reich.
How Does Core Energetics Work?
Based solidly on psychology, core energetics includes and transcends therapy that help heal the deep-seated causes of anxiety, addiction, chronic fatigue, depression, insomnia, relationship problems as well as physical illnesses.
However, it should be remembered that there is a major difference between core energetics and other forms of healing. Core energetics uses grounding methods in the body, mind and soul to ensure that the therapy is safe. These grounding methods include breath, exercise, intention, movement, and sound. This way, the client can learn how to direct their own energy and their own consciousness so they can now take full responsibility for their power.
Core energetics uses body readings and character analysis to help mobilize energy and challenge and release any energy and muscular blocks present in the body. Once the blocks are released, profound changes occur and change the course of the client's life, allowing them to release the negative aspects of themselves such as addiction, depression, negative self beliefs, and self-destructive behaviours.
Core energetics can be used with psychology and other therapeutic techniques like traditional or complementary medicine, to help ensure that the client achieves the best possible results.
The Four Phases of Core Energetics
The proponents of core energetics believe that internal energy blocks and a lack of awareness of one's different personality aspects may result in dysfunctional thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Core energetic practitioners seek to remove these blockages and help foster awareness by introducing the four-phase process during therapy:
- Penetrating the mask is the first phase wherein the client has to remove the superficial layer of their personality which they present to the world. Destroying the mask helps the client to understand that it distorts their own inherent higher self qualities.
- Transforming the lower self ensues once the mask has been destroyed. The lower self is hidden underneath the mask and has power and energy to guide the client in finding lasting self-acceptance and self-love.
- Centering in the higher self allows the client to express their higher self qualities in everyday life and experience a greater joy and satisfaction.
- Connecting to the universal life plan is the fourth and final phase. Here, the client holds consciousness of the interconnectedness of all life. It is during this stage where the experience of the personal meets the universal. It is believed that opening oneself allows the expression of their core self. This process vitalizes the universe and the stream of all life.
What Are the Benefits of Core Energetics?
Practising core energetics helps a person recognise, connect with and release feelings residing within their unconscious mind to improve health and overall wellbeing. It's a transformational experience that will help them achieve mental, emotional, spiritual and physical healing. Charging and releasing the blocked energy that is responsible for limiting thoughts, feelings and behaviour will open the door to happiness and a list of other benefits such as the following:
- Achieve fulfillment in life
- Overcome trauma
- Release tight muscles
- Exceed your potential
- Foster healthy relationships
- Improve physical health
- Increase your energy levels
- Resolve intimacy issues
- Reduce anxiety and depression
- Address chronic anger
What Can You Expect From Core Energetics?
During a core energetics therapy session, the therapist will guide the client through different bodywork, breathing techniques and physical exercises to increase their self-awareness and release blocked energy. Some of the movements may be done lying down, but the majority of them will be done while standing or walking. From time to time, the therapist will ask the client some questions to assist them in exploring their emotions and understanding how these are affecting their body.
The therapy can last for an hour, and during this time the mind and body will be constantly working together. After therapy, the client should have a better understanding of why they do the things that they do, and be able to change what needs to be changed. Because the session entails a lot of movement, clients are advised to wear loose, comfortable clothing. For the females, a lightweight top with a pair of trousers is preferable to a skirt or dress.
Is Core Energetics Safe?
Yes, core energetics is safe and suitable for everyone regardless of age, gender and health condition. It doesn't involve any movements that are too adventurous in nature. The exercises and breathing techniques allow your body to open up and loosen areas where there are restrictions.