What is kinesiology?
Kinesiology is based on the concept that the body has an innate ability to heal itself. When the body is in a balanced state, it is able to function optimally and resist disease. However, when there are imbalances in the body's energy systems, this can lead to physical, mental or emotional disharmony. A kinesiologist uses manual muscle testing to evaluate imbalances in the body's structural, chemical and emotional energy. Correcting these imbalances alleviates pain, improves circulation, increases range of motion and releases muscular tension. Kinesiology can also help treat many health problems, such as allergies, headaches, fatigue, stress, digestive disorders, musculoskeletal problems, neurological disorders and cardiovascular disease, to name a few.
Qualified kinesiologists in Coffs Harbour can join one of the following professional organisations:
- Australian Kinesiology Association (AKA)
- Australian Institute of Kinesiologists (AIK)
- Australian Holistic Healers and Counsellors Association (AHHCA)
- Australian Traditional Medicine Society (ATMS)
Should you study kinesiology?
Studying kinesiology will put you at an advantage in the field of complementary medicine. Learning how the human body works in relation to other areas of health, such as emotional state, nutrition and environmental factors, will enable you to provide your clients with the best treatment recommendations. Taking a kinesiology course will also assist you in developing the admirable qualities of a kinesiologist that have led to their success, such as:
- Patience and empathy will enable you to understand and relate to your clients' pain or health problems. Furthermore, they foster trust and rapport, which will assist you in determining the best course of action.
- Good communication skills will help you understand your patients’ needs and explain treatment options clearly.
- Open-mindedness provides you with the opportunity to explore potential treatments and solutions for assisting clients with complex issues.
- Determination will inspire you to work hard to create individualised treatment plans that will help others improve their health and quality of life.
- Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. It is key to building trust with your clients and ensuring the best possible care.
If you value these qualities and have a genuine interest in helping others improve their health and wellbeing, continue reading to learn about the courses that are available to you.
What are the course and study options for kinesiology in Coffs Harbour?
Kinesiology can be studied in a variety of ways. You can start gradually or jump directly into a practitioner training program. Many schools and universities provide online and blended learning options in addition to on-campus classes. You have the option of studying full-time, part-time, at night, or on weekends.
Completing a certificate course in kinesiology that is accredited by the relevant professional bodies is the first step towards becoming a kinesiologist. The course covers the basics of anatomy and physiology, as well as muscle testing and how to perform it.
If you prefer a more comprehensive study that includes other modalities commonly used in conjunction with kinesiology, such as nutrition, counselling and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), you can enrol in a diploma program. This course will take at least a year and a half to complete.
You can also study kinesiology as part of a broader program, such as a bachelor's degree in complementary medicine. This program usually takes three to four years to complete.
When selecting a kinesiology course, there are several factors to consider. These include the type of kinesiology you want to study, the program length, and the cost. That is why it is important to carefully consider your options. Begin by checking the course listings at the top of this page, and then contact your preferred school to speak with a course adviser.
What happens after you complete your kinesiology course?
Kinesiology graduates can work in a variety of settings, including multidisciplinary clinics, naturopathic clinics, fitness centres and physiotherapy clinics. You can also look into jobs in research or education.
Many kinesiologists eventually go into private practice. If this is something you want to pursue, Natural Therapy Pages is here to help you get there. Adding your kinesiology office and list of services to the practitioner listing pages is an easy way to gain and maintain customers.
A qualification in kinesiology makes it so easy to expand your treatment repertoire. You can take courses in other modalities to supplement your kinesiology treatment programs, such as: