0435 402 499
Brisbane City Indoor Sports Centre
117 Mina Pde
Newmarket QLD 4051
If you love food, health & fitness you will feel right at home.
Athletica Health & Wellness
Hi, My name is Elise Small and I love all things health, if I'm not in the clinic helping my clients you can find me sourcing the latest research to better their health, adventuring in nature, creating delicious recipes or at my local Brisbane CrossFit gym! I believe optimal health is mental and physical. It's a healthy, joyful, and respectful relationship between your mind and your body. Through my education and guidance, I can help you align your health through tailor making treatment plans with the aim of helping achieve your optimal health and wellbeing.
As a Naturopath I have particular interest in:
- sports nutrition
- skin health
- healthy weight management and maintenance
- identifying and addressing food sensitivities / intolerances and healing the impact of them on the body
- addressing nutrient deficiencies & imbalances
- adrenal health & energy
- nervous system health & the impact of stress physically as well as mentally
- digestive health & the ability to absorb nutrients & eliminate toxins effectively
- a strong balanced immune system
- improving hormonal issues particularly acne, PMS, menstrual pain, and discomfort.
I am a qualified Naturopath (BHSc) from Endeavour College of Natural Health and an accredited member of Australian Natural Therapies Association (ANTA).
- Bachelor of Health Science (Naturopathy)
- Certificate IV Massage (Swedish)
- Diploma of Remedial Massage
- Certificate III & Certificate IV in Fitness
The Benefits of Massage
- Improved circulation and general nutrition of muscles. This appears to be the most valuable fitness-related benefit. Massage is accompanied or followed by an increase interchange of substances between the blood and the tissue cells, which increases tissue metabolism. Massage maximizes the supply of nutrients and oxygen though increased blood flow, which helps the body rebuild itself.
- Improved range of motion and muscle flexibility. This results in increased power and performance, which helps you work efficiently and with proper intensity to facilitate the body’s muscle-building response.
- Helps shorten recovery time between workouts. Waste products such as lactic and carbonic acid build up in muscles after exercise. Increased circulation to these muscles helps to eliminate toxic debris and shorten recovery time.
- Can help prevent over-training. Massage has a relaxing effect on the muscles, as well as a sedative effect on the nervous system. This can prevent over-training syndrome, which has a limiting effect on muscle building.
- Helps prevent and even heal injuries. By stretching connective tissue, massage improves circulation to help prevent or break down adhesions. Massage also influences the excretion of certain fluids (nitrogen, phosphorous, sulfur) necessary for tissue repair.
The sports massage actually came from the Swedish massage technique. Geared specifically to the athlete, this massage focuses on muscles that have seen a large degree of stress and use, often to the point of overuse. Normally, these are muscles that have seen repetitive and aggressive movement as a part of the overall sport or competition.
There are several key elements to sports massage. To better understand each of these, let’s look at them separately.
- Motion and Flexibility: Professional and superior athletes often overtrain and this leads to muscle rigidity. Sports massage can help relax overly tense muscles and provide additional flexibility. Used before a competition, it will relax the muscles for flexibility, improving performance.
- Shortens Recovery Time: Exercise and competition is stressful on the body. This will lead to injury if proper precautions are not taken. Sports massages are ideal to help the body deal with this stress and injury prevention. A proper massage increases blood flow and lymph fluid, both assisting in the body’s natural healing process, speeding waste removal and general health improvement. Swelling and inflammation associated with physical activity is also reduced. Scar tissue, normal from a severe injury, can be lessened with massage.
- Supply of Oxygen and Nutrients: Blood flow into muscles is vital to creating new tissue and increased strength and stamina. Massage increases blood flow for additional oxygen and nutrients.
- Helps Eliminate By-Products of Exercise: Lactic and uric acids are natural by-products of exercise. Each can be lessened with blood and lymph flow in the body and increase the waste output by a sports massage.
- Psychological Benefits: There is much to be said about psychology and sports. Many do not realize the value of a massage with sports and how a quality massage has more than just physical benefits. The body is only as strong as the mind, so having a strong mind that is relaxed and focused is a definite edge in highly competitive sports. A stressed athlete is not nearly as capable as one with a clear mind.
- Reduces Pain: A body in pain is a sign of overworked muscles and is not healthy. Massage increases blood and lymph fluid flow, thereby speeding the injury rehabilitation process. A massage also helps with pain from spasms and cramps, common with elite athletic training.
A sports Nutritionist can allow your body to reach it's optimal performance by providing the right nutritional foundational & utilising the most recent research in this ever evolving field of health. Your are provided with the latest research, trends, supplements & recipe creations to guarantee that you are ahead of the rest when selecting what you eat and drink before, during and after exercise.
You will receive personalised dietary plans that is specific to your training and performance outcomes. If you are looking for a competitive advantage there is availability for sporting teams & group presentations regarding the importance of food for fuel. If you require practical cooking classes around preparing meals or supermarket grocery tours to educate athletes & coach's on improving nutritional skills, special appointments can be organised.
Contact us today Phone and Skype consults are available for interstate or overseas clients.