What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common metabolic and hormonal disorder that affects up to 12% of Australian women. It can develop in women during teenage and childbearing years, causing a hormonal imbalance and excess of insulin in the bloodstream that causes cysts to form over the ovaries.
Whist science is still to find a cure for PCOS, alternative healing modalities such as aromatherapy may be used to successfully alleviate symptoms of PCOS.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is an alternative healing practice that uses essential oils and other aromatic plant compounds to improve the overall health and well being of an individual. These essential oils may be used with massage oil, used in a hot or cold compress, heated in an oil burner, placed topically on the hair or skin, or inhaled with steaming water.
How Does Aromatherapy Help PCOS?
It is believed that the oil’s scent stimulates the olfactory system of the brain that controls our sense of smell. When we smell the aroma of the oils, the brain’s limbic system (responsible for memory and emotions) releases chemicals that work to restore hormonal balance, release emotional stress in the body and increase feelings of relaxation and wellbeing.
Essential Oils for PCOS
Popular essential oils ideal in the treatment of PCOS symptoms include:
- Chamomile, which may alleviate moodiness, irritability, insomnia, indigestion, period pain and heavy periods.
- Jasmine, which may alleviate low libido levels, emotional stress, feelings of depression and low self-esteem.
- Rose, which is commonly used to treat feelings of anxiety, confusion, impatience and Irregular menstruation.
- Dill, Coriander, Cinnamon and Cypress may all regulate blood sugar levels in the body, assisting in weight management and appetite control.
- Eucalyptus oil, which relieves hormone associated water retention, pain and actively may lower blood sugar levels.
- Fennel, which helps regulate hormone levels and menstrual cycles.
- Sandlewood, a well-known tonic for the female reproductive system.
- Rose, which also may regulate irregular menstruation cycles and hormonal imbalances.
- Yiang Ylang, which may alleviate moodiness, feelings of depression, anxiety and hypertension.
If you are interested in finding out more about how aromatherapy can help with symptoms of PCOS, please speak to a professional aromatherapist.
FInd out about other effective natural PCOS treatments.