Sumptuous and totally guilt-free, these cupcakes are the perfect healthy treat. Packed with protein, they are sure to satisfy and go the distance without messing up our blood sugar levels. Spread a little ricotta and good quality jam (no added sugar) and voilà! ‘Scones’!
These cupcakes freeze well.
Ingredients (10-12 cupcakes)
- 2 cups raw almonds
- ¼ teaspoon aluminium-free baking soda
- ½ teaspoon aluminium baking powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 3 organic eggs
- 3 small-medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and process to a coarse meal.
- Place the ground almonds, baking soda, baking powder and arrowroot flour into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Using an electric mixer or handheld blender, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy, about one minute.
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas and then pour in the eggs, coconut oil, and coconut milk. Stir to combine. Pour this mixture onto the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cases (about three quarters full) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned on top.
- Transfer the cupcakes onto a wire rack to cool and set.
Instead of coconut oil you could use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or macadamia oil.