Banana brownie recipe
A simple banana brownie recipe that can be whipped up and offers many benefits to the body using only 3 ingredients
- 3 Bananas
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup cacao powder
MethodMash your bananas in a glass bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
Added extra: Add some cashews to the recipe for some added texture
Health benefitsWhen you think of brownies, health food would not be the first thing to pop into your mind. Right? Think again. This brownie recipe has only three ingredients and each one will offer you important nutrients with amazing and potent health benefits.
Let’s isolate each of these ingredients
BananaBananas are heart healthy
- They are a good source of potassium which is an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function.
- A second type of cardiovascular benefit from bananas involves the type of healthy fat they contain called sterol. Sterols can block the absorption of cholesterol, therefore helping you to keep your blood cholesterol levels in check.
- A third type of cardiovascular benefit you can get from bananas involves their great soluble fibre content. At about 3 grams per medium banana, we rank bananas as a good source of fibre. Soluble fibre in food is a type of fibre especially associated with decreased risk of heart disease.
- Even though bananas taste quite sweet, they are a low GI food. This makes them great for diabetics and for balancing blood sugar levels.
- Their high fibre content also helps to balance blood sugar levels.
- Bananas contain FOS (fructooligosaccharides) which are important in maintain healthy digestive health. FOS’s are not broken down by enzymes in the digestive tract but instead travel along to the small intestine where they are broken down by bacteria which helps to support friendly bacteria in your gut
- Cacao are very high in antioxidants and therefore are important in fighting off the damaging cells and is especially important as you age.
Almond ButterBone building
- Almonds are very high in calcium therefore are excellent for bone health
- They are also high in protein