Check out This Vegetarian Sausage Roll Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 green shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g pkt frozen chopped spinach, thawed or chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 350g fresh ricotta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 egg, lightly whisked, plus 1, extra, whisked
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (optional)
- 1 finely grated lemon rind
- Good pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- Tomato sauce, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Pour the oil into a heated, small frying pan over medium heat and sauté the shallots and garlic for about 2 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, squeeze as much water as you can out of the spinach. Place the spinach in a large bowl and add the ricotta, parmesan, egg, dill (if using), lemon rind and nutmeg. Season well. Use your hands to mix until evenly combined.
- Cut each sheet of pastry in half. Place one quarter of the spinach mixture in a log shape along one long edge. Brush the other side edge with extra egg. Close each end. Cut each roll into 3 pieces and place seam-side down on the prepared trays. Repeat with the remaining spinach mixture and pastry.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the rolls crossways at 0.5cm intervals. Brush pastry with extra egg and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with tomato sauce and salad.