Flavoursome Turmeric & Vegetable Curry
(serves 4) (includes Turmeric Paste)
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric Paste
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons organic shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Water, preferably filtered
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 8 fresh curry leaves (or 4 dried)
- ½ teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 200g potato, diced small
- 200g pumpkin/sweet potato, diced small
- 1 tomato, diced
- ¼ small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 can (270mL) coconut cream (Ayam brand)
- 1 teaspoon sea/rock salt
- 1 zucchini, diced
- ½ cup peas/asparagus pieces/broccoli florets
- handful baby spinach/kale, sliced
- ½ teaspoon organic garam masala
- 1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
Place paste ingredients into a small blender and blend until smooth (add small amount of water if required). Heat coconut oil over medium to low heat in a medium sized saucepan and add curry leaves and mustard seeds. Stir continuously until mustard seeds begin to pop.
Immediately add the prepared paste and cook over medium heat for 5min. Add potato, pumpkin, tomato and cauliflower and cook, stirring continuously for 2min.
Add coconut cream and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, add salt and simmer covered (stirring occasionally) for 20-25min or until vegetables are tender when tested with a fork. Add zucchini and cook covered for a further 10min (stirring occasionally).
Remove from heat, add peas and baby spinach stirring to combine.
Serve with steamed basmati rice and a sprinkling of fresh coriander and garam masala.
Note: 500g chicken thigh can be added with coconut cream if preferred
Recipe supplied by our friends at Tumeric Plus