What Are Carrier Oils?Two kinds of oils are used to make up an aromatherapy massage oil:
- Essential oils are the distilled aromatic plant essences.
- Carrier oils are used to dilute and "carry" essential oils into the skin. Unlike distilled essential oils, carrier oils are pressed from seeds, kernels and nuts.
The Importance of Carrier OilsWhilst alternatives like base creams and lotions can be used, there are very good reasons why professional aromatherapists carefully select and use carrier oils.
- The best carrier oils are light, non-greasy and are easily absorbed by the skin.
- They emit little or no detectable odour of their own.
- Many carrier oils are rich in fatty acids, vitamins and minerals that soften and enrich the skin.
- Some carrier oils are known to be effective treatments for skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
- Some carrier oils are chosen because they help treat wrinkles and/or scar tissue.
Some good carrier oils to look for include:
- Rosehip oil.
- Sunflower seed oil.
- Macadamia nut oil.
- Peach kernel oil.
- Coconut oil.
- Calendula oil.