Don’t say you simply can’t relax, until you try a Kahuna massage. You’ll be a bad case indeed to withstand the soporific effects of this treatment.
What is Kahuna Massage?
Though having its origins around Polynesia, Hawaii is usually thought of as the home of Kahuna massage; of course it’s just one of many places, with exact origins impossible to trace. Just as the east has its systems of philosophy, so too does Polynesia, and Kahuna is drawn from one of those.
Somewhere between guru/master teacher/shaman, though not of a particular discipline, Kahunas imparted important and sacred knowledge. And it’s from them that the massage teachings came.
The massage was used for both healing and to prevent ill-health, though what you experience today, may or may not be related to the original form. Considering its background, it’s hardly surprising that there are lots of lovely words associated with this massage: aloha, lomi-lomi, temple and Hawaiian are some of them, and they conjure images of swaying palm trees and warm winds. Quite enough to set the stage for relaxation.
But for most of us, when we need to relax, we’re not that interested in the theory behind the technique; the results are the important part. It’s fairly sure that you won’t be able to sustain an interest in anything for long, once you begin your Kahuna experience. Relaxation is irresistible.
Types of Kahuna Massage
There are two distinct forms of Kahuna massage though both can include any or all of the components that you find in any massage. Also, the differences between the two types can be blurred:
- Lomi-lomi. This is the commonest form, in which the massage is generally performed using long sweeping movements, which are the source of the profound relaxation that’s induced. The forearms are the most usual 'implement' used, but hands, feet or stones may also be incorporated.
- Temple. This is getting much closer to a spiritual experience, though still based in massage. It’s all that Lomi is, but the therapist is more attuned to spiritual matters than in the family style of Lomi.
The Benefits of Kahuna Massage
- Deep relaxation: the first and best benefit of a Kahuna massage is the depth of relaxation that it can provide. Unless your stress is particularly hard-core, it’s extraordinarily difficult to fight the relaxation. For those who think they fit this category, Lomi-lomi may be offered as a four-handed experience. Here, you have two therapists massaging you at the same time, and whilst you may be able to remain alert for a short time, before long your mind will give up completely, and simply let go. And the body follows.
- Lymphatic drainage: the long smooth strokes encourage the flow of lymphatic fluid throughout the body. This improves drainage, so congestion is relieved and waste products are better carried away from the cells.
- Blood flow: because circulation is improved throughout the body, muscles get a much better blood supply. This allows them to relax much faster and also this helps to relieve pain.
- Oxygen: better blood supply means more oxygen is carried round the body, and everything works more efficiently, especially the brain, so thinking will be clearer and quicker.
- Digestive system: Abdominal massage is included in the treatment, and this can help to improve the digestive process thereby relieving constipation, or calming an over-active gut.
- Nurture: as well as feeling relaxed after a treatment, you’ll also feel thoroughly nurtured. It’s a hard thing to quantify, but it’s probably a feeling laced with peace and security; hard to get too much of this one.
So if you’re ready to be transported out of the hum-drum world, and into a place of deep relaxation and peace, you won’t need to look any further than Kahuna massage. It is truly a gift, whether you give it to yourself or to others.
Just be sure that you don’t have an important business meeting scheduled straight after your treatment, because you could just have trouble paying attention and taking it all seriously.
Find a Kahuna massage therapist in your area and book a treatment now.
Do you have a passion for Massage? Would you love to turn your passion for Massage into a rewarding career?
Check out the information we have available on what the Massage course involves and thousands of other Natural Therapy Courses we have available online and throughout Australia. Why not let us help you find the right course for you today on 1300 924 960