What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a common metabolic and hormonal disorder that affects up to 12% of Australian women. It can develop in women during teenage and childbearing years, causing a hormonal imbalance and excess of insulin in the bloodstream that causes cysts to form over the ovaries.
Western medicine is yet to find a cure for PCOS and offer women little but harsh medications of invasive treatments that often are not enough. As a result, more and more women are turning to natural healing methods such as homeopathy to relieve symptoms without any huge side effects. Read on to find out more.
What is Homeopathy?
The principles of homeopathy are based on the premise that the large dose of a substance that produces a symptom of any particular symptom will remove that symptom when administered in very small micro-doses.
In consideration of PCOS symptoms presented, a homeopath will carefully select an appropriate remedy consisting of homeopathic hormones that act to restore balance to the neuroendocrine system (responsible for hormone regulation in the body). This rebalancing creates a healthy internal environment in which the body can take care of the condition itself.
How Can Homeopathy Help PCOS?
Whilst there are no specific homeopathic remedies for PCOS, the treatment may still help to alleviate symptoms by regulating blood sugar, hormonal levels and appetite levels, and increasing general feelings of well being in the individual.
Homeopathic Remedies for PCOS Symptoms
Some homeopathic remedies that may be administered to alleviate symptoms of PCOS include:
- Bitter gourd, which reduces blood sugar levels and regulates the appetite.
- Caulophyllum, useful to women with a history of irregular periods, discomfort during periods and pain in the pelvic region.
- Lachesis, which may be used to promote blood circulation to the reproductive organs, regulates menstruation cycles and correct uterine problems.
- Lycodium, which may relieve sweet cravings, insatiable appetites, extended periods, bloating, indigestion, constipation, insomnia and anxiety.
- Nat. Mur, which may reduce inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema and vertigo, and may alleviate PMS.
- Sepia, a general tonic for the female reproductive system, revitalizing the uterus, ovaries and vagina.
A professional homeopath will holistically consider your PCOS condition and devise an appropriate remedy for you. Please keep in mind that remedies are most effective when taken in conjunction with a good diet and exercise.
For more information on how Homeopathy may help with your PCOS symptoms, please contact a professional homeopath.
Find out about other effective natural PCOS treatments.