5 Common Food Cravings
Cravings are often for junk foods and processed foods that are high in sugar, salt, and fat.
For those who are trying to maintain a healthy weight or healthy diet and lifestyle, cravings could present as a major roadblock.
CausesDifferent types of food cravings will be experienced by different people. Some of the causes are as follows:
- The regions of the brain that are responsible for memory, pleasure, and reward are responsible for food cravings.
- There could be an imbalance of the hormones leptin and serotonin.
- Endorphins could be released into the body after someone has eaten a food. This mirrors addictions.
- Emotions are often involved in food cravings, especially if a person eats for comfort.
- A pregnant women’s cravings are especially strong and may be due to the hormonal changes that can disrupt their taste and smell receptors.
- There is also the possibility of a connection between the cravings and nutrients where the idea that the body craves certain foods because it lacks nutrients.
- Cravings can be selective or non-selective.
Reducing cravingsThere are a variety of ways you can reduce unwanted food cravings. These include:
- Drinking plenty of water
- Getting enough sleep
A 2013 study found that not getting enough sleep could alter the body's hormonal balance. This imbalance contributes to overeating and weight gain.
- Eating enough protein
5 Common food cravings
- Bread, pasta
- Salty foods
- Fried foods
- High sugar foods