After learning about which food to eat and which food to avoid when you are suffering from gout, we are not today to help you create a perfect meal plan without having to sacrifice the taste of your food. And at the same time, help you avoid the painful effects of gout.
Food plays an important part in the recurrence of gout. As we already know, gout is a very painful form of arthritis that occurs when high levels of uric acid in the blood cause crystals to form and accumulate around a joint. It is extremely painful, of which the big toe is the most common target. However, gout can also attack the feet, ankles, knees and hands as well. And an attack or flare up can last for days or months.
Men and obese people are at greater risk. If you're prone to gout, the foods you eat - and don't eat - play a key role in keeping your joints pain-free. Some foods contain purines which break down into uric acid and make gout worse. These include:
- Turkey, venison, veal and bacon
- Some seafood and shellfish (Salmon is a safer option)
- Sugary drinks
- Red meat, particularly liver and kidney can aggravate the onset of gout
Sample menu for gout diet
Those are just some of the food you should definitely avoid. And we know, it will be hard because those are just some of the most delicious food you can eat. So to help you, here is a sample menu of food you can actually eat and enjoy even if you have gout.
- Whole-grain, unsweetened cereal with skim or low-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- Roasted chicken breast slices (2 ounces) on a whole-grain roll with mustard
- Mixed green salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing
- Skim or low-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh cherries
- Roasted salmon (3-4 ounces)
- Roasted or steamed green beans
- 1/2 cup whole-grain pasta with olive oil and lemon pepper
- Low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup fresh melon
- Caffeine-free beverage, such as herbal tea
So go ahead, enjoy life. And for healthy recipes, check out our recipe section.
Do you have a passion for Nutrition? Would you love to turn your passion for Nutrition into a rewarding career?
Check out the information we have available on what the Nutrition course involves and thousands of other Natural Therapy Courses we have available online and throughout Australia. Why not let us help you find the right course for you today on 1300 924 960