Feeling tired and lethargic? Iron rich foods, smart snacking and healthy fats can boost your energy and help you fight off your fatigue.
Here is a guide to the top energy boosting foods that are probably already found in your kitchen.
- Quinoa is a gluten free grain that is very high in protein. In fact it is considered a complete protein as it contains all 9 essential amino acids. Furthermore, quinoa is packed tight with energy boosting minerals such as folate, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese
- Goji berries have been used for many thousands of years in Chinese medicine to enhance mood and increase energy levels. Goji berries support a healthy body, mood and memory. Snack on goji berries through the day to that energy you need when you need it
- Eggs are a remarkable source of protein. They are also naturally rich in B vitamins which are in charge of converting food into energy
Energy Boosting Snacks
Snacking can be the be all and end all of your energy levels. What you snack on can either boost your energy levels, or give you that quick energy hit, only to leave you feeling drowsy and hungry for the rest of the day.
- Trail mix. Nuts and dried fruit (without added sugar) are the ideal combination of fibre, protein and healthy fats. Fibre helps slow down glucose-release so that there is always a steady supply. This helps to balance your mood, energy levels and blood sugar levels. Healthy fats such as that found in nuts, seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, fish are well-known for providing long lasting energy as they are important in energy production. Healthy fats are also important for brain activity
- Fruit. Fruit is full of antioxidants and important vitamins and minerals. They will give you an instant energy boost. Bananas are especially good for supplying your body with energy. Rich in vitamin B’s and fibre, they can provide your body with a more sustained release of energy.