This surprisingly easy chicken pie recipe is just delicious with the added health benefits of kale and mushrooms. Recipe courtesy of BBC Food.
Helath benefits of kale
- High in fibre
- A great source of folate and magnesium
- High in iron
- A great source of vitamin K
- Filled with potent antioxidants
- A great source of vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium
Health benefits of mushrooms
- Can increase your vitamin D levels when exposed to light
- In vitro studies have shown that it can increase the immune system
- Rich in antioxidant
- A great source of vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and vitamin B3 (niacin)
Chicken, Kale and Mushrooms Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 300ml chicken stock
- 100g crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 100g kale
- 2 tsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 375g pack puff pastry, rolled into a circle slightly bigger than your dish
- 1 egg yolk, to glaze
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil over a gentle heat in a medium pot. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softening. Scatter over the thyme and garlic, and stir for 1 min. Turn up the heat and add the chicken, frying until golden but not fully cooked. Add the mushrooms and the remaining oil. Heat oven to 200C.
- Add the stock, crème fraîche, mustard and kale, and season well. Add the cornflour mixture and stir until thickened a little.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a flameproof casserole dish. Cover with the puff pastry lid, pressing into the sides of the casserole dish. Slice a cross in the centre and glaze with the egg. Bake for 30 mins until the pastry is puffed up and golden.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
For more delicious and health pie recipes, check out our recipe section.
Do you have a passion for Nutrition? Would you love to turn your passion for Nutrition into a rewarding career?
Check out the information we have available on what the Nutrition course involves and thousands of other Natural Therapy Courses we have available online and throughout Australia. Why not let us help you find the right course for you today on 1300 924 960