When life hands you lemons, make lemon bars!
This recipe is adapted from delish.com and will make a medium batch, about 16 average sized bars, or they could be cut bigger to create 8, so the decision is yours. Preparing the bars is very easy and is divided into a two part process, being the shortcrust and then the filling. First the shortbread crust is mixed, pressed on the baking sheet and baked. Once cooled, the filling is poured over the shortbread crust and it is baked a second time. The filling is full of lemon flavour. Once the bars are cooled they are ready to be dusted with powdered sugar and cut.
Health benefits of lemon
But first, let's take a look why lemon is considered as one of the most healthy and nutritious fruits.
- great for heart health because it is rich in Vitamin C, fiber and plant compounds like hesperidin and diosmin, all of which lowers cholesterol
- perfect for weight loss
- help prevent kidneys stones
- protect against anemia as it contains iron
- help reduce cancer risk
- promotes healthy digestion and gut health
Homemade lemon bars
For the crust
- Non stick cooking spray
- 1 cup cubed butter at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cups powdered sugar, plus extra for garnish
For the filling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cups lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon, plus more for garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into small wedges
- Preheat oven to 180° celcius and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- To make the crust, whisk together butter, flour, and sugars in a large mixing bowl and mix until smooth crumbles turn into dough.
- Spread dough into prepared baking pan and press to flatten. Bake until lightly golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling whisk together sugar, flour, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large bowl and mix until fully combined. Pour filling over crust, return to oven, and bake until firm for about 24 to 26 minutes.
- Remove from oven and refrigerate, 3 to 4 hours. Slice and garnish with powdered sugar and lemon wedges.
- Serve and enjoy.
For more healthy dessert recipes, visit our recipe section.
Do you have a passion for Nutrition? Would you love to turn your passion for Nutrition into a rewarding career?
Check out the information we have available on what the Nutrition course involves and thousands of other Natural Therapy Courses we have available online and throughout Australia. Why not let us help you find the right course for you today on 1300 924 960